Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMN Switch Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMN Switch Help

When it talks about wiring into the cars brake lines which one is it? Also I have my system installed and everything seems to work except for 1st gear lockout. The light will light up @ 3000rpms, but only if the 1st gear lockout is disenguaged. Anyone know what I wired wrong? When I take the 1st gear lock out off the system works as designed? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

TTT for you...what light lights up at 3000? Activation light? Could it be that it wont light up in first gear lockout mode at 3000 until it senses an rpm drop?

Also...what does it need to be wired to the brake lines?? Are you saying brake lights?
Old 04-08-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

383LQ4SS not too sure what you mean about sensing an RPM drop. As long as I'm out of 1st gear and into my window (3000-5900) the activation light should be on, correct?

Also I meant brake lights, not brake lines, thanks for the correction. I wrote the post as I was pissed about the n2o not working correctly.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Well..I dont know the specifics on the BMN...but usually 1st gear lock out means it wont activate nitrous in first gear. How does the little box know its in first gear??

It doesnt...what happens is you arm it....and when you go WOT nothinng happens...because your in first gear lockout mode..until you have an rpm drop of a certain amount...then nitrous will kick in. That simulates starting in first gear...going WOT...and then shifting to second gear. naturally after the shift rpm drops. The box senses that and will then begin normal operation.

Atleast thats my current understanding. I havent used one yet.
Not sure what the brake lights are for. Are you sure its not a transbrake?
Old 04-09-2006, 12:01 AM
9 Second Club

I have the BMN window switch with first gear lockout. The way it works is you must rev the car to the cut off point that you have set on the window switch. Once you reach the cut off rpm and the revs drop the switch assumes you shifted to second gear and will then allow the solenoids to operate.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i need to install mine how do you do it in plain english.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:09 PM
9 Second Club

Give me a call I'll walk you through it. 225-445-2530
Old 04-09-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I am still somewhat puzzled about this window switch. Took the car out on the highway and when the 1st gear lockout was engaged I would get nothing @ WOT. However if I took the 1st gear lockout off the gas flowed under WOT. Anyone got any ideas, because I'm totally stumped. Thanks
Old 04-09-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Read this very carefully ...

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
Well..I dont know the specifics on the BMN...but usually 1st gear lock out means it wont activate nitrous in first gear. How does the little box know its in first gear??

It doesnt...what happens is you arm it....and when you go WOT nothinng happens...because your in first gear lockout mode..until you have an rpm drop of a certain amount...then nitrous will kick in. That simulates starting in first gear...going WOT...and then shifting to second gear. naturally after the shift rpm drops. The box senses that and will then begin normal operation.

Atleast thats my current understanding. I havent used one yet.
Not sure what the brake lights are for. Are you sure its not a transbrake?
Reworded ......

What that means is that when the first gear lockout is engaged, it's assuming you ALWAYS start from 1st gear. Once you make the 1-2 shift and the RPMs drop, the box sees the RPM drop and ASSUMES that's a shift, thus engaging the nitrous.

This would perfectly coincide with everything you've said you're having a problem with.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Flyer thanks for the respnse. So what you and appearantly everone else has stated is w/ the 1st gear lockout engaged the n2o will come on only after the window switch senses the rpm drop after the shift from 1st to 2nd? And if I wanted to say do a highway run on the gas the 1st gear lockout would have to be disengaged? Thanks for all the responses.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zspot98
Flyer thanks for the respnse. So what you and appearantly everone else has stated is w/ the 1st gear lockout engaged the n2o will come on only after the window switch senses the rpm drop after the shift from 1st to 2nd? And if I wanted to say do a highway run on the gas the 1st gear lockout would have to be disengaged? Thanks for all the responses.
The window switch doesn't know what gear you're in. The lockout will disengage after ANY rpm drop (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc).

So...if you're on the highway with the 1st gear lockout engaged you can't just floor it and expect your nitrous to fire. You'll have to go through one shift cycle. Meaning, your in 4th (for example) and arm your system. You floor it and go past 6000 rpm (example again) and shift into 5th. This time when you reach you window switch lower limit the nitrous will fire.

In order to just arm the system and have it fire immediately (within your window) is to disable the first gear lockout.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:08 AM
10 Second Club

This was an educational read for me. Thanks for the heads up!

I'll be buying and window switch and now I know exactly how it works.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ya me to i didn't know about how to run with it on the highway. someone had missinformed me int he past and said itt had to be disabbled