Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anyone a real pro at fighting tickets in Mass?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone a real pro at fighting tickets in Mass?

I got a BS ticket in November. Basically the officer and I were travelling a main drag in opposite directions. I stopped to take a left hand turn, across his directions traffic. He was quite a few car lengths away and I had more than ample opportunity to turn safely. The turn was also a fork for me, and a hairpin turn for him if you can picture that. He hammers it around the turn behind me, flashes the blues, bitches about cutting him off, and then issues a $50 ticket for failing to turn safely, as if my insurance isn't high enough. He even put one of those little below the belt pot-shot comments for the magistrate at the bottom "HAD TO JAM ON BRAKES" like the ticket has a f'n comment box or anybody wants his opinion.
I filed a hearing (where a representative from the dept. defends the ticket) with a magistrate, and lost. You have literally no chance if the officer files the paperwork. So I requested an appeal, which is $20 (I always thought due process was free, go figure) and at least you get an actual judge and he has to personally show up. I've done this before, and all it comes down to is a coin toss whether the officer shows. I need a curveball to throw at them just in case, since I could bring Mother Theresa back to life as a witness, and I'd still lose if the officer shows. Mass is way different from other states...but I've heard there's scenarios where you have the right to request certain info, logs, records, etc....and you request it via certified mail, and then if they don't respond you can request a continuance at the hearing to make the officer show again. I think radar calibration records is an example but not applicable here. Has anyone tried this? Any other ideas?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:05 AM
8 second mod

i have always found it to be pretty easy, tell your story, add some cushion, and it usually works out for the best. unless your magestrait is a woman, they go 100% by the book
Old 04-11-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just say this:

"Look, I am not stupid enough to cut off a police officer and make him jack on his brakes, especialy when I drive a car that is a police magnet. He wanted to bust my ***** because of the car I drive and wrote me a BS ticket...end of story."
Old 04-11-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just ask Butta's what to say. He should be able to help you out
Old 04-11-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a few run-ins with the magistrates about tickets and basically just be polite and tell them the truth and you should be fine. Dont go in there trying to bash the foficer and say he is a dick and stuff like that because they will not listen to you. Try to estimate an approximate distance between you and the officer when you took the turn (for instance maybe 25-30 feet) and explain that you felt there was plenty of room between you and the officer when you took the turn. Say that you arent sure if the officer sped up to respond to a call after you made the turn or anything and thats maybe why it seemed a little closer but that you made the turn with plenty of room to where it shouldnt have caused the officer to hit his brakes at all.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Id also say take a pic of where you took the turna dn bring it in and state where the officer was when you took the turn to prove the distance between you and him. That way the magistrate can clearly see that there was plenty of distance between you and the officers car.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Banned

yea i agree with 98z28. If your gonna take this kinda time out of your scehdual to fight the ticket, u might as well show up prepared.. I would have a pic and or drawing of the intersection, and just tell the story. If you feel u had enough room to make the turn, then either the cop is lieing about having to hit the breaks, or ur judgment is terrible...
Old 04-11-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Deutch420
yea i agree with 98z28. If your gonna take this kinda time out of your scehdual to fight the ticket, u might as well show up prepared.. I would have a pic and or drawing of the intersection, and just tell the story. If you feel u had enough room to make the turn, then either the cop is lieing about having to hit the breaks, or ur judgment is terrible...
Thanks for the suggestions.....yeah, I planned to go prepared with some good pictures. The only thing that worries me is that the last time I did go prepared with a great story and pics. I actually set a trap that the officer walked right into....I asked a couple questions (location where she first saw me, where the speed limit dropped, the distance I was lidared), and then I produced pictures totally proving she was lying....said I was doing 10 over lidared from 500 feet, and I conclusively proved with photos that from the address she said she was at the limit didn't drop those 10mph until only 400 feet from where she was. It was BS...I have no clue how I still lost. So I was hoping there was another way around it since I think the best story in the world doesn't really get you a fair trial.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GoldenBird
Thanks for the suggestions.....yeah, I planned to go prepared with some good pictures. The only thing that worries me is that the last time I did go prepared with a great story and pics. I actually set a trap that the officer walked right into....I asked a couple questions (location where she first saw me, where the speed limit dropped, the distance I was lidared), and then I produced pictures totally proving she was lying....said I was doing 10 over lidared from 500 feet, and I conclusively proved with photos that from the address she said she was at the limit didn't drop those 10mph until only 400 feet from where she was. It was BS...I have no clue how I still lost. So I was hoping there was another way around it since I think the best story in the world doesn't really get you a fair trial.
Wow they really must not like you huh? J/K, but honestly I have had no problems with fighting my tickets in mass. Usually I just bring so much evidence (pictures, documents, etc) that they dont want to listen to me anymore and just drop the fine. I think if you have enough documentation (pics, etc) that they shouldnt hassle you too much and should drop the fine. I know what you mean though, some magistrates/cops will just lie to **** you over so good luck with it and hopefully you can get out of the ticket.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you really dont want it on your record, appeal it and get a state lawyer. worst case is you still get fined but at least you wont get any points
Old 04-11-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

See I've heard people say that in other states, but can you really get the points dropped even if the fine holds up in Mass? Never seen that as an option. Does it make any sense to attempt to negotiate that even without a lawyer?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well the biggest thing they look at is your past driving record. tey have it printed and sitting right in front of them. thats what fucked me. i got pulled over and ticketd 5 times in 6 months. even though i beat the 2 before the time i was in cout, they still looekd at it and were like kid youve been pulled over by every department in the state, there no way i can cut you a break on this one. so if your driving record is bad chances are no matter what you tell them they are gonna get you anyway.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a horrendous driving record....I used to have a yellow Camaro and it was even worse. I even had to go to the "driver retraining" for getting 5 tickets in 3 years. But no at-fault accidents, and I've only had that one other ticket I mentioned within the past 3 or 4 years. It really sucks that enthusiasts are the ones they come down on the most. It makes me wonder how brutal the beatings where that these cops got in HS by the guys driving 60's and 70's T/A's and Z28's.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Banned

It makes me wonder how brutal the beatings where that these cops got in HS by the guys driving 60's and 70's T/A's and Z28's.
well in the 60's and 70's you could just run from the cops if ur car was fast enough..... damn radios...
Old 04-12-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See I've heard people say that in other states, but can you really get the points dropped even if the fine holds up in Mass? Never seen that as an option. Does it make any sense to attempt to negotiate that even without a lawyer?
I don't know about that in Mass. but in NY they often do that way, fine you and drop the points if you plead not guilty and show up in the court and deal with the officer before the court session starts.
A lawyer is a waste of money in this case if you can simply show up and work out a deal with the officer.
The lawyers do the same thing as you would unless it goes to a trail.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Seduction ! ! ! ,.,. Seduce the officer and let him have his way with you. He'll let you off like that. Some like to **** everyone they can,, let him **** you.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Here is a little tip if you lose, when you pay the fine send an extra couple of bux. They will sent you a check for the amount you over paid, throw it away and the system never close the case and in turn they never put it in your file or send a copy to your INS company.

STEVE
Old 04-12-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steveb
Here is a little tip if you lose, when you pay the fine send an extra couple of bux. They will sent you a check for the amount you over paid, throw it away and the system never close the case and in turn they never put it in your file or send a copy to your INS company.

STEVE
Doesn't always work in most states.

Some of them accept credit cards to make payments. How about disputing that charge due to unfair payment!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Midnight F-117A
Doesn't always work in most states.

Some of them accept credit cards to make payments. How about disputing that charge due to unfair payment!

Not shure about other states since i live in MA, i know you still send in payment by check or pay cash or check at the reg. CC is still not accepted. Well anyway i gave you something i know works weather you do it is up to you. Good luck.

STEVE
Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by F-Bobby
well the biggest thing they look at is your past driving record. tey have it printed and sitting right in front of them. thats what fucked me. i got pulled over and ticketd 5 times in 6 months. even though i beat the 2 before the time i was in cout, they still looekd at it and were like kid youve been pulled over by every department in the state, there no way i can cut you a break on this one. so if your driving record is bad chances are no matter what you tell them they are gonna get you anyway.
No way.
I don't buy that because:

I had, yes had, a perfect record & a year & 1/2 ago a statie claimed I was doing over 80 on 290.

I was not & cars were zinging by me on both sides as I was in the middle lane.

I brought my passenger who was a witness to the magistrate, yeah, $20 later I get to tell the same thing to the judge, this states such a rip-off, & even with the witness & up 'till then a clean record, I still got found guilty, fined & went to a step 10.

So I think it's pot luck far as a win or loss in court.

BTW, I never got a chance to bring up that the cop lied about lasering me as my detector never went off & being my pal works for Whistler, all 3 of my Whistlers laser & radar bands are "tweaked" much better than the over the counter models.

Also, in MA it does not matter if the cop is a no show as an appointed officer of the day takes over.