General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What to check after mouse attack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 04:41 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Question What to check after mouse attack?

F***ing mouse got in my engine compartment and stashed crap in there. I am going to vacuum everything out. Air filter looks good. Anything I should check before starting my car up?

By the way, I am now officially at war with all mice. I will never pass up an opportunity to kill one of these little bastards. I am going to mine my garage and attic with all manner of WMD; weapons of mice destruction. I will not rest until they are all dead.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the funniest thing I heard all day........

When I lived up north, there was a problem with squirrels. I guess they liked the taste of insulated wires.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd clean up after the little SOB then just start it and look around where the nest was, hopefully it wasn't too hungry and left the wiring alone. Turn everything on to make sure it's working, no codes after a few cold starts you're probably OK.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

My good friend pulled french fries out of his carburator last year!
His car was stored in a barn in the country.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:54 PM
wrencher

Check the wiring really well. Have seen mice cause alot of damage B-4.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:22 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok. I vacuumed out all the crap; at least everything I found. Cannot find any chewed wiring. Started it up and let it run for a while. No obvious problems.

Cleaned the garage out, including food sources and mouse pellets. Went to Home Depot, and built up my arsenal. Stopped at the local market, and bought a jar of extra crunchy peanut butter. I did not start this war, but I will finish it. They will feel my full wrath. To my tiny four-footed enemies I say “I am Death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see! God sent me!"
Old 04-16-2006, 01:45 AM
Launching!

That happened to me once. Started up fine and ran great for about 2 days. Then the S hit the fan. Come to find out the rat got behind the pcm somehow and decided to chew into the main wiring harness. You can only guess the problems that occured from it. More than 6 hours of reconnect crap and reinsulating the wires. Even chewed part of the connector that plugs into the computer. Just took two days for the wires to vibrate loose and begin coming out and touching each other.

Now I have minature steal traps in my shop to make damn sure I get every one of those bastards.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

I went to Iraq came back and everything under the hood that was rubber with the exception of the coolant hoses were chewed.. I would have laughed if the little bastard drank the coolant but he got away scott free!!!