Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

8.5" 10bolt - Cover keeps leakin'

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8.5" 10bolt - Cover keeps leakin'

Have 8.5" 10-bolt 355rwhp/375rwlbtq - how do you guys keep your rears from leakin' or do you just keep on refilling the diff?

In the past 3 months, I've swapped a powertrax locker with an Eaton Posi (which sucks up way more HP due to its weight), but the thing keeps on leaking within a couple of weeks of my foot staying buried in the floorboard

Suggestions? Almost feel like putting lock-tite on the bolts - he he
Old 04-16-2006, 03:49 AM
12 Second Club

where is it leaking? if its leaking out of the cover put a thin layer of RTV sealant on the cover and a thin layer on the housing, be sure to use a gasket...bolt it back together and let rtv set up and u should be leak free forever
Old 04-16-2006, 05:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

If it is leaking past the cover, make sure it ain't bent all to hell or has a pin-hole/crack leak in it.
If it checks out put the cover on a HARD FLAT surface, take a hammer I use a flat brass punch to pound the bolt holes nice and flat.

Put some silicone on it and torque it to spec in a crisscross manner.
Saw this a lot when I worked at a trans shop, those quick lube places would over torque tranny pans, diff covers and with a simple flattening of the bolt holes the gaskets would do their job.

Now if your leak is coming from the front seal..well that is a little more work. Hope the cover is where your leak is.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Banned

The 8.5 I have in my nova leaks out between the axle and center section, seems to come out of the plug weld. Might want to check there.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend
where is it leaking? if its leaking out of the cover put a thin layer of RTV sealant on the cover and a thin layer on the housing, be sure to use a gasket...bolt it back together and let rtv set up and u should be leak free forever
Hi "Oh man of courage" -

Does she know of your mistress - hehe . I just ask because my wife would KILL ME!!

Appreciate the info. The leak is definitely coming out from the cover. Never heard of RTV sealant before. Something new?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93ChevExt5.7
Have 8.5" 10-bolt 355rwhp/375rwlbtq - how do you guys keep your rears from leakin' or do you just keep on refilling the diff?

In the past 3 months, I've swapped a powertrax locker with an Eaton Posi (which sucks up way more HP due to its weight), but the thing keeps on leaking within a couple of weeks of my foot staying buried in the floorboard

Suggestions? Almost feel like putting lock-tite on the bolts - he he
You kill me. So how much power does it actually suck up ??

If you say more than about 2hp.... Im going to have you commited.

The fact's are in, that it is actually an infinitesimal amount. I just wonder sometimes where you guys get this kinda information.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Banned

It suprises me that this person knows how much power this differential uses yet does not know what RTV is.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

Okay.. since we're pickin' on the guy asking the questions...I'm sure you guys were born with all the intelligence in the freakin' world and know all there is about everything..."oh my, next time I probably shouldn't ask a question on a message board of the GURUs, they'll just slam me for not knowing because they know so much and I'm just wasting their time" (eventhough they have the time to type some sarcastic crap)..... you guys sure are cool and (as Steve Martin would put it) - WELL EXCUUUUSSEEEE ME!!!

Here's the deal. I had a LS1 Hotcam (219/228&.525/.525) in with the truck and a Powertrax locker and NO TUNE. I did three pulls on the dyno after about a week of having it. The best pull it did was 346.7HP/365tq rear-wheel numbers. About three weeks later, the Powertraxx gives up the ghost.

So, I took it to LG Motorsports. They plopped in a G5X2 cam (232/240&.595/.608) along with this heavy (compared to the Powertrax) Posi along with a tune and it put down the numbers I've mentioned before 355HP/375tq rear-wheel? Now mister smarty-pantsesesses, please expound on why only 8 more HP were generated from a cam which, in other vehicles has shown repeatedly to produce close to 375-380/390HP rear wheel if the only things changed were the cam, tune and posi? Sure, tell me LG Motorsports, the guys who just got 623HP out of a new 06 Vette Z06 don't know how to tune an LS1?

As far as not knowing what RTV is, yep - that's right - evidently neither are some others. Now, are we done with the insults or do you feel the need to continue?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

Oh, and BTW Mr. Chicane, while I'm sure you own your own differntial business. Apparently, a little business out there named Auburn, posted a comparison in the March 2006 Car Craft magazine. According to your expert opinion, along with Mr. 8a8mfh's expert testimony, I'm sure I'd win the lawsuit against Auburn for false advertising. On page 61 of the mag, it states plainly at the top "Auburn Diffs Deliver More Horsepower to the Ground!" It then proceeds to compare various differential solutions, from "Open diff" to Torsen Geared Type, TrueTrac, EatonPosi and finishes on the far right with Auburn Pro Series.

So there does appear to be some difference in drivetrain loss.....
Old 04-17-2006, 06:07 AM
Banned

Old 04-18-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry if you felt insulted and/or being picked on. That wasnt the intent. I just cannot believe that people actually read and believe everything that they read, blindly. And no, I dont own a drivetrain business. But I have however, built somewhere in the 'hood of 5-6000 differentials.

Its not drivetrain "loss" by any means considering weight. In respect to their diameters and total unit weights, the inertial difference might be and I mean might be, 5hp !?!! Their "statement" is trying to imply that with the "forcing cone design" that it will provide better torque bias to the pavement. Not due to it weight. This is a very broad and very generalized statement, or more correctly stated.... an opinion in pursuit of plausible marketing. I am sure that you dont believe everything you read in magazines.... right ?? Afterall, magizines (for the most part) and associcated articles are basically "paid for advertising."

So yes. You could take them to court for false, or more to the point, misleading advertising...... and most likely you will win. But their lawyer costs more than yours for a good reason.

I have been using (personally) and tuning Eatons for many years. I have also installed my share of opens, Torsens, TracLocs/powerlocks, Detroits, LocRights, Eatons, Auburns, ARB's, Goldtracks, electracks and Govlocks. Ya know, out of all of those listed, the majority of hard failures are Auburns for one reason or another, but mainly to much inital preload in the "Pro series" and the fact that it is a 'forcing cone design'. They cannot be rebuilt, unless you are an authorized repair facility... which I have been a part of, but they dont even allow that anymore. But, the two that have been tried and proven.. ?? The Eaton and the Detroit. Not to mention that they have been around longer than any other differential traction devices. Auburns are good.... for a while. Once the wear takes place from having too much initial preload in the "Pro series" differential, it basically goes away from there. You cant tune it and your cant rebuild it.... so you replace it at full price. Instead of just flipping a new $80 clutch pack into it and having the ability to tune it.....

Now mister smarty-pantsesesses, please expound on why only 8 more HP were generated from a cam which, in other vehicles has shown repeatedly to produce close to 375-380/390HP rear wheel if the only things changed were the cam, tune and posi?
Plainly.... "in other vehicles" sums that one up. Most likely from the fact that your vehicle didnt not have all the modifications that the "other vehicles" have or I would even go to the jesture, that those numbers were not done in a "Truck" chassis. Man for 8hp, I hope it didnt cost you all that much. It basically states that the cam you have choosen.... inst quite right for the build and/or the application.