Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam problems

Just instaled my tr230 reverse split camshaft into my 01 M6 TA. While driving around runs sluggish and tries to die when I let off the gas. This is obviously expected because its on stock tuning. Anyway I had an appointment today to get it dyno tuned and the people there said it is pointless to even have the cam without headers and a good catback exhaust. Exhaust wise I have a borla exhaust. So the guy told me to come back when I have both of those done and he also reccomended a ported throttle body. Problem being is I dont have any more money to spend. Basically I was wondering what you guys are running with your cams and if this sounds like its good info?
Old 04-26-2006, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't have bought a cam before doing exhaust work. You didn't do your research on here before your purchase, did you?

I don't see why they couldn't tune it to run better anyway. Was it a big name, reputable or LS1 experienced shop? I'm sure somebody who knew what they were doing could make it drive better for you...
Old 04-26-2006, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

You won't get the best out of it without exhaust. But they should have tuned your car for driveability atleast.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Well they could have done my tune but said it would be best (cheaper) if I waited. Yes they were reputable Greenlight motor sports (sponsored). I guess I didnt do my research very thourough. Just excited about the cam but **** happens. What do you think it will cost for headers and a good catback exhaust (guess)? Im thinking about going pacesetters any reccomendations on catback?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

I thought you said you have a Borla allready.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dregnier0
Well they could have done my tune but said it would be best (cheaper) if I waited. Yes they were reputable Greenlight motor sports (sponsored). I guess I didnt do my research very thourough. Just excited about the cam but **** happens. What do you think it will cost for headers and a good catback exhaust (guess)? Im thinking about going pacesetters any reccomendations on catback?

Looks in the parts section and find some used stuff.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

I have a borla but the guy recommended a Gmmg. My fault for not researching everthing but thanks for the help. You guys think a borla will flow enough with a set of headers for the tr230 cam?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:08 PM

get pacesetters with the ory from tsp. its pretty inexpensive. and the headers are a breeze to put on.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

The Borla should be fine. Just pick up some Pacesetters and y-pipe (probably less than 550 bucks together) and get a tune to really let that cam breathe and perform properly .

Jeremy
Old 04-26-2006, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

I have a borla but the guy recommended a Gmmg. My fault for not researching everthing but thanks for the help. You guys think a borla will flow enough with a set of headers for the tr230 cam?
no catback flows better than an open borla. I don't particularly care for the rasp, though. Sounds like he was just trying to sell you a catback.
like everyone says just get some coated pacesetter or edelbrocks and an off road y pipe.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

shrugs i hear alot of peopel saying the ory with borla is pretty raspy and a lil too loud. may wanan fork the extra lil bit and get the tsp catted y. tsp has a package deal pacesetter's LT coated and catted y for liek 700 or so I think.

its what I got to upgrade over my mac's mids. there are levels of doing the exhaust. if you go to the extreme of a gmmg exhaust then you should prolly step up to a qtp or kooks or such header system as well

but then you are spending a hella lot more cash ( and if cash is tight.. pacesetter's are right
Old 04-26-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Oh as far as tuning goes.. they should be able to do non dyno tune for the idle and driveability pretty quick and inexpensive id think.. but then again I dont know exactly All I know is if they ever wanted my business again.. instead of tryign to force mne to blow more money they woulda helped me out with my current issue then make their suggestions.

Sure, you got mod happy before doing your homework about it. Thats where this site comes into it and they can bash ya ) But if I am going to a business to toss money their way.. they had better not treat me that way

Anyways, good luck on your choices.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, I will definatley look into a set of haeders and schedule another tune in a coupe of weeks.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

My $.02

Get headers and a Y-pipe. Pacesetters if you don't want to spend a lot. If you want to keep the Borla I would put high flow cats in the Y-pipe (I hate rasp). Personally I would consider selling the Borla and getting something that sounds good without cats, or getting true duals.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

I have the TR230 and the Borla. I do also have FLP headers. Your Borla should be fine with that came. I think someone was trying to get you to buy another exhaust that I think you do not need.

You should invest in some headers for sure. But the tuner should have tuned it for what you had so your driveability was better.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah get it goin with headers and go from there. Another alternative to cats is put some bullet mufflers in place.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

He might be doing you a favor and you don't realize it. He could reprogram your PCM now and then you later go out and change your exhaust system and aren't satisfied with the way the car responds with new header and Y pipe. So you go back to your tuner and what do he say: "I told you so".
Old 04-27-2006, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

No hes definatley doing me a favor. He said I wouldent be happy with my current set up because I will not net around the expected 400hp. Then I would do the mods and be back again spending more money. He easily could have taken my money knowing that id eventually be back for more tuning.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Yeah get it goin with headers and go from there. Another alternative to cats is put some bullet mufflers in place.
Anyone familiar with using the bullet mufflers? I assume that they get put onto the Y pipe correct? I really dont want that annoying rasp. Will this reduce or eliminate the rasp?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Should for the most part.

People put them in the LoudMouth system all the time in the I pipe. Also gives it a little bit more depth to the tone.