Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Internals LS1

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stock Internals LS1

If I built a motor from stock parts (Pistons, crank, rods, block, heads, cam, etc.) would it still be eligable for the SI list? I have seen that some guys are running ARP rod bolts. Is that OK? How about mixing parts from different years?

Thanks,

Daren
Old 04-28-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think so... They won't let SUX2BU on the list.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Negative on the rod bolts.....not even aftermarket rockers are allowed. WILWAXU (moderator of the SI list) sent me a PM expaining thi,s and also said EVERYTHING that oil touches must be OEM GM parts, and NO GM performance parts.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep your not allowed to take anything on the motor apart thats why my new combo is not allowed on the list and all I did was put some stock 241 heads on my stock 98 shortblock I bought ......but you can still post the results
Old 04-29-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Would GM part number 25534322 or 12568722 be legal if ran as is?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 11SECSS
Yep your not allowed to take anything on the motor apart thats why my new combo is not allowed on the list and all I did was put some stock 241 heads on my stock 98 shortblock I bought ......but you can still post the results
I "believe" that is allowed. They allow LS6 IM sawps, so whyTF wouldn't you be able to use later model STOCK heads.......kinda a double standard if thats the case.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

I really need a firm outline of what is allowed. I want to go after the record, but don't want to hear that my effort is DQ'ed for some minor detail. All input is appreciated.

Daren
Old 04-29-2006, 10:31 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I really need a firm outline of what is allowed. I want to go after the record, but don't want to hear that my effort is DQ'ed for some minor detail. All input is appreciated.

Daren
In all seriousness (<-- is that a word?), it is just a "list" on a website. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to say you are on it. I too am trying to claim a decent spot on it for an M6, but your passion should be about YOUR CAR and YOUR TIMES, not some list. If you consider your car SI, even though you have 241 heads....which I would, then make your runs and brag about your SI times.

Look at the respect SUX2BU gets in here.....do you see him on the list? He has no internal engine parts that add HP, just ARP rod bolts.

You get the idea I'm going after
Old 04-30-2006, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ninetres
In all seriousness (<-- is that a word?), it is just a "list" on a website. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to say you are on it. I too am trying to claim a decent spot on it for an M6, but your passion should be about YOUR CAR and YOUR TIMES, not some list. If you consider your car SI, even though you have 241 heads....which I would, then make your runs and brag about your SI times.

Look at the respect SUX2BU gets in here.....do you see him on the list? He has no internal engine parts that add HP, just ARP rod bolts.

You get the idea I'm going after

At this point I have never owned an LS1. I have had several pretty good LT1's. I decided this week that I would like to build an LS1. As you know we all read these lists. If I am going to run an LS1 it would be my intention to put the car at the top of one of the lists. I just want to make sure that I build to the letter of the rules so that my goal can be met without a last minute dissapointment.

Daren
Old 04-30-2006, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club

At this point I have never owned an LS1. I have had several pretty good LT1's. I decided this week that I would like to build an LS1. As you know we all read these lists. If I am going to run an LS1 it would be my intention to put the car at the top of one of the lists. I just want to make sure that I build to the letter of the rules so that my goal can be met without a last minute dissapointment.

Daren
yep, you missed the point
Old 05-02-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

yep, you missed the point
Why does this bother you so much? I am wanting to put an LS1 into one of my Firebirds and have a little fun. I like to set goals for my projects. The top of the stock internals list seems like a good goal to me.

WILWAXU has answered most all of my questions. How do you guys feel about using an aftermarket computer? Would you count it as a "bolt-on"? (WILWAXU left that question open to the other stock internal guys)

Thanks,

Daren
Old 05-02-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the day the Stock Internals list was for F-Bodies purchased off the showroom floor to showcase the full potential of the LS1 on this forum. With these vehicles being out of production so long, anything can go and no one can make sure it truely is a stock internal setup. The list was mainly due to a limited amount of resources available for the (then) new LS1 platform, so hot rodders used what they could get their hands on ... which the stock long block didn't require much to get it going fast in a proper setup. Now with "allowing" crate engines (many which are rated at high HP then stock version), the long block will not be similar to the factory products. So it will be an unfair comparison. How others have said ... do this for your own self, but (IMHO) the days of the stock internals list are long gone. If John allows your setup, he should also allow the others who claim they are stock internal as well, regardless of building a (short of blueprinting) wonder long block of current GM offerings LS1.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

So, if you guys are against crate motors, a low mile motor out of a wreck would be OK? Would you allow RUQUICKR´s old motor? I am quite enjoying this thread. The more replies that I get the more I want to do it!

Keep the replies coming. This is quite educational.

Daren

Last edited by GIZMO; 05-02-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I am not against crate engines, but where do you draw the line? Heck I wouldn't mind seeing a blueprinted LS1 with full bolt-ons and all the light weight mods one can do. But the original purpose of the list is long gone. Now any setup can be built. If you could go all out I would say do it, but this list is not some National Record like the one from an NHRA Stock Eliminator (for example) ... it was just for "internet bragging rights". Good luck on your quest, as it sounds like a great "project".
Old 05-02-2006, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

I get respect on here?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, if you guys are against crate motors, a low mile motor out of a wreck would be OK? Would you allow RUQUICKER´s old motor? I am quite enjoying this thread. The more replies that I get the more I want to do it!

Keep the replies coming. This is quite educational.

Daren
Daren, all this is making me want to dust off the stock motor I have gathering dust in the corner and blow away my old 11.2 mark since the car is lighter than it was, hooks way harder, and has way less drag in the trans.

Call me on my cell when you're back in country. Take care. Dave
Old 05-02-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 12secSS
I am not against crate engines, but where do you draw the line? Heck I wouldn't mind seeing a blueprinted LS1 with full bolt-ons and all the light weight mods one can do. But the original purpose of the list is long gone. Now any setup can be built. If you could go all out I would say do it, but this list is not some National Record like the one from an NHRA Stock Eliminator (for example) ... it was just for "internet bragging rights". Good luck on your quest, as it sounds like a great "project".

If I blueprinted an LS1, even with the stock cam, it would make a joke of the stock internals list. What I want to do is build something that fits the list. My goal is to shoot for the top. That doesn´t mean that I will make it there. This is my first venture into the LS1. It´s the exact same way that I approached the LT1, except there weren´t any lists back then. When I ran my stock internal LT1 it only had 186 miles on it! Hard to find an LS1 like that.

The bragging rights aren´t what motivates me. I just want to have a little fun.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 05-02-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RUQWIKR
Daren, all this is making me want to dust off the stock motor I have gathering dust in the corner and blow away my old 11.2 mark since the car is lighter than it was, hooks way harder, and has way less drag in the trans.

Call me on my cell when you're back in country. Take care. Dave
Dave,

We need to do this. I´ll call you when I get home.

Be Good,

Daren

Quick Reply: Stock Internals LS1