Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

What did you drive before you had a vette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What did you drive before you had a vette?

I'd love some feedback here...

Were you folks driving f-bodies before your vettes, and if so what prompted you to swap into one?

I have an '00 Z, daily driver as well as track car. Of course I love it and all, but I've always got this thought in the back of my head about selling it for a vette.

Is it a pain to put a clutch in a vette, and at what power level/time slips do you need to replace it?

I would be getting just a regular C5 for less than $20k, so it would probably have higher miles on it and be a 1997-2000 car.

I guess my problem with getting a vette is that it looks like kind of a pain to work on...doesn't the rack have to come out for a cam? And also the parts are more expensive because of the 'corvette tax'...one thing I do love about the f-body is parts are cheap and installations are straightforward.

I know I wouldn't be able to get a vette and keep it stock, and I'd want it to run in the 7's (1/8th) like my camaro does now. What kind of modifications are you all running to get in that range? I know it's the same engine and all but I would imagine a vettes a little better off with the weight advantage.

It would have to be an M6 for sure.

Any input/ramblings would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well although I can't answer your more technical questions, I'll toss you my $.02 on why I moved to a Vette.

Previously, I drove F-Body's. Still have the two you saw actually, never plan on getting rid of them. My move to a Vette was a fulfillment of a boyhood dream, more or less. But it's also that I wanted the engineering, the looks, the handling, the attention to detail in a vette that an F-body could not offer. One drive in a Vette back in 00 (right before I bought the forsaken Black T/A I test drove a 95 Vette) told me all I needed to know, and my first C5 test drive back in February merely reinforced that want.

I will admit that the Corvette is much more noisy on the inside, and has a lot more creaks, squeaks, and rattles than I expected, but then again I've been spoiled on my buddies GTO and our Lincoln. After I got over that and realized that "Hey, it's GOING to be somewhat noisy, after all it IS a TRUE sports car" all was well.

From what I've seen (and am heading towards) a full bolt on C5 should put down in the area of 350 to 360 at the wheels, which should be more than enough for 7's in the 1/8. Exhaust work doesn't look to be too bad, but a clutch swap looks to suck as I believe the TQ tube and rear have to come down and out. Cam swap looked like it was relatively simple after removal of the radiator and A/C condensor though.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a 93' 240sx with a built KA24DET motor. Made 451 rwhp on race gas. I still think the Vette was the best decision I ever made.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

I owned five f-bodies including 2 LS1's and 2 LT1's... I'm happy with my decision. I love my vette... but there are times I miss driving an f-body every day.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

A 396ci LT1 94 Z28 Vert.

http://kraest.com/396launch.avi
Old 05-12-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by keliente
I'd love some feedback here...

Were you folks driving f-bodies before your vettes, and if so what prompted you to swap into one?

I have an '00 Z, daily driver as well as track car. Of course I love it and all, but I've always got this thought in the back of my head about selling it for a vette.

Is it a pain to put a clutch in a vette, and at what power level/time slips do you need to replace it?

I would be getting just a regular C5 for less than $20k, so it would probably have higher miles on it and be a 1997-2000 car.

I guess my problem with getting a vette is that it looks like kind of a pain to work on...doesn't the rack have to come out for a cam? And also the parts are more expensive because of the 'corvette tax'...one thing I do love about the f-body is parts are cheap and installations are straightforward.

I know I wouldn't be able to get a vette and keep it stock, and I'd want it to run in the 7's (1/8th) like my camaro does now. What kind of modifications are you all running to get in that range? I know it's the same engine and all but I would imagine a vettes a little better off with the weight advantage.

It would have to be an M6 for sure.

Any input/ramblings would be appreciated.

Well, i've OWNED two mustangs(gt/cobra) ... but i've lived with a few f-bodies over the years. I've almost bought, several of them. I love them. But, when you compare them to the Y-body(vette)....there isn't any comparison man. Drive a vette on the highway,...and right away your gonna see/feel/experience the difference.

when my car was stock,...I didn't have a problem running with alot of friends modded f-bodies.

Yes, clutchs without a doubt SUCK to do in a vette. I hate it, and don't look forward to it again. Yes, the rack does have to be jived with a little bit but, doesn't need to be removed for the cam swap. I'd recommend leaving it in, and lowering the cradle(ofcourse on a lift).

The vette, and the f-body both have rear end issues when launching hard so,...thats a given either way. (stalemate)

If you can.......I highly recommend the vette man....there is NOT a better car out there, performance minded, that can compete.

You'll love it dude. ...and one more thing,... the vette, gets em wet. I shouldn't need to explain that.

J
Old 05-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Suspended Sponsor

I had a 96 Trans am , switched to a Vette for the attention the LS1 and to fulfill a dream.

if you are looking for a cheap Vette with excellant performance keep an eye out for a 99 fixed roof coupe. They are a little light on options like HUD etc. heated mirrors etc., however they are all equipped with z51 suspension packages, 6 speeds, more ridgid chassis and are the lightest C5. Plus they have the Z06 look!

you can generally pick these up fairly cheap ( for a vette ) I bought mine 3 years ago with 25,000 miles on the clock for $26,000. Ive seen a few members on here pick them for ALOT less since they are 7 years old and a new body has been released

You will have a permanent smile with a C5
Old 05-12-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech

You'll love it dude. ...and one more thing,... the vette, gets em wet. I shouldn't need to explain that.

J
Actually I am a girl so having a car that makes other girls wet might be a problem because I don't swing that way
Old 05-12-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Actually I am a girl so having a car that makes other girls wet might be a problem because I don't swing that way

lmao. Sorry doll.

Foot is in mouth.

(but it still works)
Old 05-12-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Synister_Motorsports
you can generally pick these up fairly cheap ( for a vette ) I bought mine 3 years ago with 25,000 miles on the clock for $26,000. Ive seen a few members on here pick them for ALOT less since they are 7 years old and a new body has been released
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I don't want anything fancy, no one's garaged pet...because this is something I would be driving every day. I would be absolutely fine with it if it came with a few dings/dents/etc. Besides there are so many shitty drivers and uninsured people in this area that it is almost impossible to keep anything pristine!!

Higher mileage would also be another thing to get the price lower...I don't mind that at all because I can fix anything in my garage. I think I could find a good car for less than $20k.

And about HUD - I found a guy on corvetteforum.com that sells the setup for $400, so I could always do that. I don't think I would miss not having hud though.

What does the typical run of the mill C5 run in the 1/8th mile?

And yeah I know the rear ends in the fbodies suck (see sig, 12 bolt now ) What breaks in a vettes IRS, the axles?

The difference between y and f body is quite amazing. I was a little surprised that there was more road noise than I expected, but the cars are phenomenal none the less. The handling is just on rails...and I like the way the doors shut really quietly, less rattles, etc. But those 'rough edges' are also things I love about my pos camaro
Old 05-12-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

lmao. Sorry doll.

Foot is in mouth.

(but it still works)

Old 05-12-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I had a '99 Z28 w/ cam, and TNT 150 shot. That car was alot of fun...but I dont miss it a bit. Going to my Z06 was the best decision I ever made. As far as working on the vette, overall I think It is EASIER to mod than an F-bod, with the exception being the clutch. I had that done for $350, because I do not have a lift. However, it isnt THAT bad if you have access to a lift. These cars are very easy to work on, I just did a heads/cam install and was suprised just how easy it was even with the steering rack (which also is relatively easy BTW)....

Personally, if you like the looks of the FRC Id definitely get the Z06, it will hold its value better, and has plenty of perks...one of which is a stronger bottom end for more revving later. You can find very good deals on the C5 Z06.

And that moistness thing...
Old 05-12-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol. Cool chick.

The things that break in a y-body are pretty much the output shaft, on the driver side.... besides that, I think I see more cracked housings then anything.

DTE makes a hardened output shaft,...and you can buy fully built rearends for about 3500 stage III(micropolished gears, the whole nine yards)

...they also make a brace, which I have,.."strut brace" .... which is designed to limit the twisting the trans and diff do under extreme load,....so...less of a chance of a broken output shaft.

More power/traction,..more problems.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Personally, if you like the looks of the FRC Id definitely get the Z06, it will hold its value better, and has plenty of perks...one of which is a stronger bottom end for more revving later. You can find very good deals on the C5 Z06.
Believe me I know, my boyfriend just picked one up for $29k, 01 with 35k miles, it is immaculate. That car is ridiculous amounts of awesome. I didn't want him to buy it because I knew that a week later I'd be making this post wanting a C5 too!!!

But I don't want to spend more than $20k no matter what it is. Am I cheap?? Oh hell yes. Probably so because I know firsthand how much time I spend at the track and don't want to have such a high car payment on a track mule/daily driver. Won't be worth jack when I am done with it anyway

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
As far as working on the vette, overall I think It is EASIER to mod than an F-bod
I will agree that cylinder #8 looks much more friendly in a vette than an fbody
Old 05-12-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

More power/traction,..more problems.
That holds true with anything!! In general though do you suppose you could make it into the 11's keeping the stock rear intact?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

That holds true with anything!! In general though do you suppose you could make it into the 11's keeping the stock rear intact?

There have been quite a few C5Z06's deep in the 11's on stock rearends. I'm sure I can't though with my driving skills I'm not too sure if they have the same rear ends though, for sure they have different suspension parts, but rearend? Jaime should know the answer to that. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keliente, you should be able to find a good deal if you're willing to compromise mileage and condition. When I purchased mine a couple of weeks ago there was one on the corvette forum for sale that was a smoking deal. It was a 99 pewter six speed coupe, lots of options, tint, C6 gunmetal wheels, brand new clutch/slave cylinder with 75K miles and a 2 inch crack in the driver side fender (which killed the deal for me). I talked to the guy and he was asking $17K but flat out told me he would take $16K. It's most likely gone now, but there are definitely deals out there.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, you are awesome you sound like the coolest chick on this planet! There is nothing better than a picture of a chick welding stuff for her car... sorry, by the way my .02 is to get the vette I have both and love both very much but I am all about the vette, I have wanted one my whole life and there is just so much more quality and engineering put into it.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

i had 01 z28. that car had too many little problems. i loved it dearly but the little things did it... a bit of detonation here and there, 2 useless seats, unintuitive cornering, creaks and rattles, poor paint quality etc.

corvette just feels so much more like a no-compromise package. i have a much better "feel" for what the car does when I drive it compared to f-body. it's not the acceleration or handling, it's the feeling of my body becoming one with the machine

if you never drove one, find somebody in your area with a z06/FRC or at least a coupe/vert with z51 and 6sp. no need to run it up to 160mph or anything like that, just drive it for a bit. you will see what I mean.

i do not care for the "attention" or any stereotypes that people put on me when they see me in a vette (including the "chick magnet" thing) - it's simply not why I bought the car: "I" love how it looks and drives - that's the only thing that matters.

Last edited by longdaddy; 05-12-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Launching!

'99 Navy Metallica Blue Z28. I upgraded from the poor man's vette to the real deal. When I was 20 all I could afford was an F-Body, 2 years later things changed a little.