Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do these tires suck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do these tires suck?

I bought some used tires off eBay, got 'em on the car. They aren't hooking for crap for me, so I was curious if anyone else has had experience with these tires, or if it's just my suspension

Basically, these are not hooking up at all. I even heated them up for a good 10 seconds (line locks), baby launched it from idle (didn't stall it up or make it flash to 4k), and it still would not hook. The car always jumps to the driver's side also. I think it was due to the rear not being lined up right, so I have since then re-centered everything (LCAs and panhard). Even so, these tires just go up in smoke when I try to launch. If I hit it from like a 15 mph roll, it will hook, but I don't really care about "frum roll??" traction

They are Hoosiers, 275/60 15. The sidewall says "Street TD" on them. I've looked through Jeg's, and I cannot find them anywhere...It's almost like they were discontinued? They are also hard as hell. With 15 pounds of air in them, they are still hard to the point where you can't push in the sidewall at all. They are stiffer than my skinnies!

These are the exact tires. I can take pics of them mounted on the wheels if need be. They are on 15x10 Prostars

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Should I just junk these and buy some M/Ts instead? Those tires are proven, and I'm perfectly fine with them only lasting 5-6k miles
Old 05-14-2006, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Those tires look similar to the M/T ET Streets.. Since the tires are used that could have alot to do with their lack of performance. There is no telling how old those tires are or how well they were taken care of. If they were sitting up for a long time then they are worthless in my opinion. You just never know what could be wrong with them. Sometimes there are bad batches that just don't hook. I've seen it happen plenty of times. Get 10 passes out of some slicks and then they just "go away" for some reason. And those tires could just suck period..
Old 05-14-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm wondering if that's the case, if these had been sitting for a while, since I can't find them for sale anywhere. In fact I think I just spotted them on Hoosier's discontinued page
Old 05-14-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you looking for a radial tire that will hook? if you don't mind a wrinkle style tire try the m&h racemaster muscle car drag 305/40/16 www.intercotire.com they look like most street tires,but they hook great 1.5 60's at the track. if you really want to hook look at the m&h racemaster cheeter slick 1.4 60's motor 1.3 60's nos. same web site.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never gave M&H tires any thought, mostly since I don't ever hear about them in the LS1 world. Have you ran them before mike c?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:06 PM
12 Second Club

Those are treaded cirle track tires and you will never heat them up enough to get traction. We have guys around me that put tires like thoughs on just to do big smokey burnouts and that is all they are good for.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really? I didn't know they made circle track tires that looked like that. Just my luck I guess