Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp air lid install

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slp air lid install

Does anyone have complete step by step instuctions to install an slp air lid on an ls1 motor?> Or a link would help too, cant seem to find one. Thanks for all your help! Pm me or reply here or better yet email me at azangari@oswego.edu thanks!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here you go it'll be same for all Fbodies and lids.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 05-17-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

unclicp two clips that hold down the lid, get a screw driver flat head, and unscrew the worm clamp from the TB, pull out the iat, and the groment, pull out the aire pump intake, throw your old lid in the garbage, then reinstall new same as reverse, should take about 10 minutes. good luck
Old 05-17-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
unclicp two clips that hold down the lid, get a screw driver flat head, and unscrew the worm clamp from the TB, pull out the iat, and the groment, pull out the aire pump intake, throw your old lid in the garbage, then reinstall new same as reverse, should take about 10 minutes. good luck
10mins my ***... My MAF got stuck in the stock bellows and took an hour to pry out without destroying the MAF. Putting it back on took 10mins though.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my at 5AM out in the street.... in the dark.

It took me about a half hour. There were two difficult parts: 1) getting the stock MAF sensor out of the OEM lid, and 2) getting the SLP lid in shape and clamped down to my liking.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:05 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

wow, people really have these problems installing a lid, i did a fast toys ram air and slp cold air pack in like an hour, and you have to drill **** and cut **** so it could fit down in front of the radiator.

i guess im luck to have a car where my **** isnt hard to get off.

my 86 mustang was a different story to work on
Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i wont get on here to flame anyone bc people have to start somewhere, but it is really easy....take it off put it on....
Old 05-17-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

My stock lid was an absolute pain in the *** to get off of the MAF housing, when I finally did get it off of the MAF housing it was all jacked up and there is no way to put it back on if I need to take it to the dealer for service. My biggest problem was getting the IAT sensor with the grommet out of the stock lid. The gromit was brittle and was very hard to get out of the baffles, had to cut them in half with a powersaw, I might post some pics if I pull the two halves of the baffle out of the garbage.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Avalanche
10mins my ***... My MAF got stuck in the stock bellows and took an hour to pry out without destroying the MAF. Putting it back on took 10mins though.
Yeah the INSTALL takes about 10mins, but getting all the **** out of the stock baffles and lid is a good 45mins, atleast from my experience.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

geez this kid ^^^ had the intake from hell....maybe took me 10 mins....clips, the two plugs, the sensor, and the metal ring around the baffle/maf....unbolt and rip
Old 05-18-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did the whole install in about 15 minutes. The key is to use a hair dryer on the neck of the lid to loosen the MAF. After about 20 seconds of heating, the MAF slid off like butter. Then, I used some dishwashing soap to get the IAT sensor off.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
I did the whole install in about 15 minutes. The key is to use a hair dryer on the neck of the lid to loosen the MAF. After about 20 seconds of heating, the MAF slid off like butter. Then, I used some dishwashing soap to get the IAT sensor off.
It was rather satisfying to just tear the **** out of the thing, especially after working a while on it. I'm sure it will benefit other people to know about the hair dryer and dishwashing soap
Old 05-18-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Avalanche
If your refering to the bellows as the piece between the tb and the maf, does not need to be seperated for the lid install, mine slipped freely out of the stock lid baffles no problem, and again my install took about 10 minutes
Old 05-19-2006, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

when i did mine on my previous t/a it literally took a hour to get the MAF out i seriously wanted to cut it out it pissed me off so bad lol.. but the funny thing is, when i just installed it in my new ws6, i was thinking to myself, here we go this pain in the *** is gonna be stuck in there again, but it took 5 minutes of working it around, and slid right out!. so really it all depends on how long it takes someone to get the maf out, thats the only time consuming part about the install.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:39 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by peteTA
when i did mine on my previous t/a it literally took a hour to get the MAF out i seriously wanted to cut it out it pissed me off so bad lol.. but the funny thing is, when i just installed it in my new ws6, i was thinking to myself, here we go this pain in the *** is gonna be stuck in there again, but it took 5 minutes of working it around, and slid right out!. so really it all depends on how long it takes someone to get the maf out, thats the only time consuming part about the install.
You've just gotta twist and shout.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
You've just gotta twist and shout.

Yeah I did alot of that Mario was there he can attest to my twisting shouting and stabbing myself with a flat head screw driver...

Everyone does have to start somewhere but where to stop?! LOL I got my LTs True Duals on the way, next month is stall and A4 rebuild month, fallowed by cam and heads month. This should be a very interesting summer.

Quick Reply: slp air lid install