General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil gurus

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil gurus

Okay, this oil thing is beat up pretty bad here but, i'm gonna ask anyway.

German oil:

(1) Is it bad to put heavier motor oil in our camaros?
(2) I know there is no guarantee but, will the ticking noise be reduced slightly?

(3) Do they offer 5W or 10W instead of 0W?
(4) Will it change in any way i.e startups, more smoother ride or will it turn black right away?

If i remember anymore questions, i will fire them right away.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alpha-Q
Okay, this oil thing is beat up pretty bad here but, i'm gonna ask anyway.

German oil:

(1) Is it bad to put heavier motor oil in our camaros?
(2) I know there is no guarantee but, will the ticking noise be reduced slightly?

(3) Do they offer 5W or 10W instead of 0W?
(4) Will it change in any way i.e startups, more smoother ride or will it turn black right away?

If i remember anymore questions, i will fire them right away.

Thanks.
1. I would not use a heavy oil like a 15W-50 in our cars. A 5W-40 won't hurt.

2. No one can answer that honestly. No one has YOUR car and cannot diagnose a problem you are having without a LOT more information and without hearing your car. Sorry.

3. They do but it's not the german stuff. Keep in mind the first number is only when the engine is cold. The 0w just gives you more protection when starting your car in very cold climates. Even in winter once you car warms up it is the higher number 5w-30 that matters.

4. No it should not do any of those things unless it does it now. An oil is not a magic wand that can fix all your current engine troubles. It may make some better it may make your ticking go away but it may not if something other then running too thin an oil is to blame.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 95Z is only driven in summer months. Would it be okay to put 0W in it? I spoke to the guy at the parts store and he said "I wouldn't put anything other then 10w 30"
Old 05-19-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alpha-Q
My 95Z is only driven in summer months. Would it be okay to put 0W in it? I spoke to the guy at the parts store and he said "I wouldn't put anything other then 10w 30"
Fine, no issue with that at all. I only drive my car 2500 miles a year and only use it in nice weather and I use 0W-30
Old 05-19-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and also keep in mind that my car is an LS1. You have a completly different engine so your ticking may not be the same issue that the GC fixed for me. You have an LT1 engine but I'm betting you knew that. Either way the GC will work fine in your car. Whether it helps your problem who knows but it can't hurt to try other than it costs more than other oil. I paid about 5.50 per quart.