Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

IC Spray

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IC Spray

How many guys are running an IC Sprayer? ANy N20 on the turbo setups? What kind of difference is it making, and is it worth it? Pics are great!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i used to be really into Evos and everone on on there (that wasn't into making a car look good) said they are pointless! a much better option, and one used as stndrad on soobies nd evos and for rallying, is water intercooler sprays! supposd to work really well and dirt cheap (just use window washer jets and pump!)!

if you have your eyes set on using N2o to cool you are better using a small shot after the intercooler. this give you both the power gains of the N2O and the cooling effect! and its proven!

thanks Chris.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

a shop near us has done it many times and pickup as much as 40hp on a mustang
Old 05-24-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chuntington101
i used to be really into Evos and everone on on there (that wasn't into making a car look good) said they are pointless! a much better option, and one used as stndrad on soobies nd evos and for rallying, is water intercooler sprays! supposd to work really well and dirt cheap (just use window washer jets and pump!)!

if you have your eyes set on using N2o to cool you are better using a small shot after the intercooler. this give you both the power gains of the N2O and the cooling effect! and its proven!

thanks Chris.
yea.. iwasn't sure if it would be better to spray it into the intercooler or just jet it after the intercooler. . Thanks for clearing it up.

Justin
Old 05-24-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

so you suggest a water spray on the intercooler rather than doing an N2O spraybar?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

is there any chance of that water getting on the road/track and messing up traction?
Old 05-24-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pointless? I think not Its proven that cool air is dense air correct? People are looking for the best bang for their buck Cooling the outside of your intercooler will work and help prevent heat soak. Thats why some people put Ice water in their air to water coolers. It is a measured increase in Hp and cooling, How much depends on the set up. 40HP I do not belive that one bit, But a real life mesurement on how much it cools the air charge needs to be shown As far as buying a cryo kit or what I would not do it for the price 300+ dollars. Iam drawing one for force inducted f-bodies only, Buy all means Im not trying to sell anything But Im going to test out my system and if it works good I will post pics and howtos and part numbers plus results. Last plumbing no2 even a small shot on a turbo or supercharge car is playing with fire and you better have the fuel and motor to do it. Remember a 50 shot of no2 on a fore induction motor is more like a 100 shot Dont quote me because its somthing I read on this sight

Cobrakillers 2
Old 05-24-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LastBlack02SS
so you suggest a water spray on the intercooler rather than doing an N2O spraybar?

I would say no2 because it will cool faster But you dont want to do a burn out and launch in a puddle of oil water Thats like preping the track with KY JELLY
Old 05-25-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

Why not spray before the intercooler? I planned to spray into my A2A with a 75 shot
Old 05-25-2006, 03:10 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by navymitch12
is there any chance of that water getting on the road/track and messing up traction?
while i guess that is a possibility, you really aren't putting that much water on it. imagine what you get out of like a windex bottle, thats about how much water comes out. its not like buckets or anything.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
Why not spray before the intercooler? I planned to spray into my A2A with a 75 shot
I have thought about that a while back And could not figured out if it will freez the fins in the intercooler and slow the charge and cause water to build up I would guess it wouldent but I need a nitrous guru input My guess is the air would be travling so fast it wont have time to freez it Then again it would proably build up Ice on the intake side of the intercooler and slow the flow Oh **** Just had a thought What if you plumb it far enough away from the intake side of the intercooler so it will mix with the air better and less freezing **** I need to get out of Iraq to test this
Old 05-25-2006, 06:46 AM
12 Second Club

seems like it would be very good for cooling the intake charge..that intercooler has to be fairly cold with all the co2 spraying on it
Old 05-25-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im not saying spryaing the intercooler wont do anything all im saying is it makes more sence to get the power gains of the N2O as well as the cooling benifits!

why spray after the intercooler? well whats the point in spraying before?? let the intercooler do what its intended to do, cool the air to around ambient, and then cool it even further using the N2o! this way you should get sub ambient temps.

water intercooler sprays are used more for road use when its impractiale to have a 10second shot the freeze the intercooler. then, and when rallying, you want the performance over much long periods of time and water spraying allows that. also the water has a high heat capacity than air so it helps pull more heat out the intercooler over the whole run rather than just at the start!

C02 spray will work to! just make sure you dont get any in your intake or it will rob power. be nice to see one use for the length of a run and see what effects it had on cooling!

as for the best way to cool and intercooler at the strip, cram it full of dry ice and see what your inlet temps would be then! thats whatF1 teams did to stop the cars overheating on the warmup laps!

your right outlawz you do need to be very carefull with N20 and FI! the shot you add will probable be about doubled. you need to make sure you have the fuel systme and the tune to cope with it when you use it! this is when a speed density or standalone ECU will help as they can be setup to compensate better!

thanks Chris.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

i have been thinking about useing some nitrious to cool the charge after the intercooler , with the new forged motor, maybe a 35 shor or so...does that sound like thats playing with fire ??? id rather keep it safe but 35 shot doest seem to be alot
Old 05-25-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

It's safe as long as you add the right amount of fuel at the same time. A 35 shot will surprise you - it will probably net out as a 50ft/lb increase in torque - sometimes more on a blown engine!

Jim
Old 05-26-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by navymitch12

seems like it would be very good for cooling the intake charge..that intercooler has to be fairly cold with all the co2 spraying on it
Not really it seems too small for the large intercooler we run it needs to cover more area and be more efficent
Old 05-27-2006, 06:38 AM
12 Second Club

i was not talking size...i am just saying that for that size box its doing good in there, NOS makes a kit that has a snake bar that seems like it would work perfect for our intercoolers.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd use No2 and branch it to a sprayer and also give the car a small shot.

Quick Reply: IC Spray