Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Differences between stock Z28, SS, SLP Bilstein, and 1LE Suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between stock Z28, SS, SLP Bilstein, and 1LE Suspensions

Really curious as to what the differences are regarding the different spring rates, swaybar sizes, shock specs or anything else that was offered on the suspensions for these cars. I've done a search but a lot of posts seem to contradict each other, which just leaves me guessing. For those who have driven stock, Bilstein, and 1LE equipped cars, which do you prefer? My car came with the Bilstein package and I have mixed feelings about it. To me, it has a good ride quality on smooth roads but doesn't like bumps. The rear end seems too soft and as a result has a bit too much understeer. Maybe a bigger rear bar would help? What do you all think about your own set-ups? Discuss away
Old 06-04-2006, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SLP factory Bilstein and yes the ride is bumpy over bumpy roads.
But I have heard the ride is softer than the 1LE (Koni adjustable shocks)
I think it is good middle ground between ride and handling.
I might install the Eibach Pro-Kit springs and just use the front springs to drop the front down a bit. The front is spaced higher than the rear per SLP's specs.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one Z28 convertible with the stock suspension and it rides a lot smoother than the 1LE, i mean a very noticable difference but doesnt handle nearly as well. I also have a 1LE and the ride is stiff and bumpy but it handles very well. I have all shocks on factory settings and have never adjusted them. The 1LE ride is not unbearable and I am quite used to it and it makes the car seem raw and that is why I love listening to the exhaust and getting thrown around a little. You may have different wants however, thats just my opinion.

Last edited by 98camaro1le; 06-05-2006 at 01:34 AM. Reason: because

Quick Reply: Differences between stock Z28, SS, SLP Bilstein, and 1LE Suspensions