LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How To Keep Heat After AC Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 02:09 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How To Keep Heat After AC Delete?

I keep reading post about doing it and how to do it, but ive yet to understand how you keep your heater after deleting the AC.

I thought you just Deleted the whole pile of **** up on the firewall then Fabricated a plate to put in the old spot.

Speed inc sells a purrty sweet HVAC Block off plate but i dont think you keep your heat with that.

If someone could make this a little more clear to me thatd be great.

Tony.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no you do not keep your heat... but most people doing the AC delete is just getting rid of the compressor and leaving the rest of the crap in the car.. its an easy fix for a busted compressor.... been there and done that...
Old 06-13-2006, 02:18 AM
hashtagBMW

Well I really want to clean the engine bay up and save some weight. I have never used my AC in the 2 years ive owned my car. But when its cold your god damn right I use my heater. There has to be a way to save weight and clean the bay up but still keep my *** toasty warm.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Resident

trust me im in the same boat with you... i cant stand the cold... but want to clean it up... im assuming you could custom fab something to work...
Old 06-13-2006, 02:36 AM
hashtagBMW

Yea thats what im shooting for at this point. Right now its all on the drawing board. Im trying to figure out what parts have to stay on the car to keep the heat.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:26 AM
TECH Regular

Man what are you guys talking about...I deleted my A/C and most tubing except for the junk that's attached directly to the firewall--I still have heat and there's really nothing left of the A/C system.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:40 AM
TECH Resident

were talking about getting rid of the box and all behind the dash, but still keeping the heater core... the box has to weigh a good 30-35lbs i would imagine... then all of the rest of the AC stuff removes more weight..
Old 06-13-2006, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by contraststriker
Man what are you guys talking about...I deleted my A/C and most tubing except for the junk that's attached directly to the firewall--I still have heat and there's really nothing left of the A/C system.
He's talking about a way to have a smooth firewall, (hence the blockoff plate comment), but keep all the components necessary for heat. Not an easy task.

Basically to pull it off you'll have to yank your dash out and remove all the Airbag hardware to free up some space inside the dash cavity, and then relocate the blower motor inside that empty space. If I remember correctly, by moving the blower motor further back and to the side of the heater core, you're going to have to change the angle that the heater core is positioned at so that the air from the blower can pass through. This will cause the factory bulkheads to not line up with the heater core inlet/outlet ports, so you're going to have to fab up some pipe or possibly hoses to bridge the gap. You'll also of course need to drill holes in the blockoff plate for the heater hoses to pass through.

The main problem I remember seeing was that because the blower motor is moved back up inside the dash, you have to modify the vent passage going to the passenger's side to make clearance. In doing this, and having the blower point to the side instead of straight back like it is stock, this means that you won't get any heat out of the passenger's side vent. (Blower motor is aimed towards the driver's side.) You might be able to get around that and fab up a custom vent that loops around the blower motor and to the passenger's vent, but that would all depend on your own ingenuity.

I remember seeing a guy that did this a long time ago and he had pics of all the steps that it took to do it but I forgot his screen name. Maybe if he see's this he'll chime in.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

This is what I did. I took all the AC crap out up to the Fire Wall. I took the piece of Aluminum out of the Fire Wall, and cut the tubing out a little bit. Then put a piece of Aluminum in, and siliconed it in. I used a Dremel to fit it in.
Attached Thumbnails How To Keep Heat After AC Delete?-ac-cover.jpg  
Old 06-13-2006, 02:38 PM
hashtagBMW

Merv,

IMO that looks like ****, i wouldnt want people to see that when my engine bay is open. At this point i might just leave the ****** AC, maybe ill just get it to work really well so i have a need for it to be here. There is no point to remove the AC and still have the majority of the weight.

Looks like im starting on !ABS First!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

the simple solution is a aftermarket heater... either electric or standard coolent style.... then you can remove the bulky underdash HVAC vent plenum, and use some universal vent tubes...

its alot of work and money for something so simple... you rarely see it done outside of the rodder guys...
Old 06-13-2006, 02:48 PM
hashtagBMW

Alright Mr. Ivegotthesolution, were is a link or a place were i can pick one of these up?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Merv,

IMO that looks like ****, i wouldnt want people to see that when my engine bay is open. At this point i might just leave the ****** AC, maybe ill just get it to work really well so i have a need for it to be here. There is no point to remove the AC and still have the majority of the weight.

Looks like im starting on !ABS First!!!!
You asked opinions, we told you what we have done. I didn't want to do the work of tearing my dash and all that section apart, for a couple of little pieces. I have everything else of the AC system removed, which is about 35lbs worth of stuff. My way still keeps the Heating system functioning, and not working.
It's not my fault that your on your period, so take your attitude elsewhere...
Old 06-13-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I took out the compressor, the dryer, and the lines running to the "box." I used rubber freeze plugs with the bolts in the center to plug off the holes in the "box." Probably not worth fooling with removing if you want heat IMHO. Like someone said, you've got 30+ lbs gone with the compressor out.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I took out the compressor, the dryer, and the lines running to the "box." I used rubber freeze plugs with the bolts in the center to plug off the holes in the "box." Probably not worth fooling with removing if you want heat IMHO. Like someone said, you've got 30+ lbs gone with the compressor out.

Thats how mine is too except I'm using just straight up bolts to plug the 2 holes.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:49 AM
hashtagBMW

It's not my fault that your on your period, so take your attitude elsewhere...

My bad, i guess all the cool kids use hot glue to make the engine bay look stylin. You have fun with that.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:30 AM
11 Second Club

I am not worried about what people see under the hood. If all someone noticed is that piece and bitched about it, I would tell them to eat a dick. I have actually had people ask how I did it, and I told them. They liked it, it saved alot of time. The end result was the 35lbs worth of AC **** is gone, and the Heat is fully functional, with no leaks. Some of us do custom work and save our money, not blow it on something that is way out of the way.
Do what you want to gut your car apart, but no sense in ******* it up for the 5lb piece in there. Then again I am not the "Professional" like you I guess, I've only been under the hood of a car since I could read tools....
Old 06-14-2006, 09:28 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by contraststriker

Same here. I just blocked off the two fittings where the A/C hard lines go into the heater box so no crap could get in there.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

That's what I did with mine, I made a plate for it, as you can see in the attached pic. I think this guy wants to take the whole thing out of there, that is more work than it's worth, and doesn't necessarily need to be done IMO..
Old 06-14-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Alright Mr. Ivegotthesolution, were is a link or a place were i can pick one of these up?
from a 30 sec google search:

http://www.southernrods.com/categori...oduct-867.html

really, theres a whole market of these little plenum airboxes... all designed for retrofitting into "old school" hotrods with tiny dashes... i dont have any experiance with the model or company above, ive just worked with the vintage air AC system on a 55 chev and with a no name heater in my dads spitfire... but they're really simple.. just a plenum box, blower motor, the AC/heater core and some outlet vents you plumb up.

Quick Reply: How To Keep Heat After AC Delete?