Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which way do rods face??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question which way do rods face??

i recently bought a new ls1 block and a bunch of parts from a guy who was doing a build and then decided to go another route. i have rebuilt many small blocks and know that the dot on the top of the piston goes to the front and that the edge of the rod that has the greater bevel go against the crank(otherwise the rod will bind against the crank). the rods/pistons that i got are all facing the same direction (if i remember correctly they are all setup for the odd side of the engine..1,3,5,7). i contacted the guy i bought them from and he said that is how they are supposed to be...that they all face the same direction and that all i need to make sure of is that the dot on the piston faces the front. is this correct??? it seems to me that the more beveled edge should go to the crank just like any other chevy engine requires??? am i missing something or do i need to have half of my pistons pressed off and flipped?

thanks,
chevrev
Old 06-13-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevrev
i recently bought a new ls1 block and a bunch of parts from a guy who was doing a build and then decided to go another route. i have rebuilt many small blocks and know that the dot on the top of the piston goes to the front and that the edge of the rod that has the greater bevel go against the crank(otherwise the rod will bind against the crank). the rods/pistons that i got are all facing the same direction (if i remember correctly they are all setup for the odd side of the engine..1,3,5,7). i contacted the guy i bought them from and he said that is how they are supposed to be...that they all face the same direction and that all i need to make sure of is that the dot on the piston faces the front. is this correct??? it seems to me that the more beveled edge should go to the crank just like any other chevy engine requires??? am i missing something or do i need to have half of my pistons pressed off and flipped?

thanks,
chevrev
They all go the same way. The bevels on the big end of the rods oppose each other.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

currently all rods are the same way and with the dot on the piston to the front of the engine, all rods will face the same and thus all larger beveled edges will be facing the front of the engine and the beveled edges will not be opposing each other. shouldnt the larger beveled edges go against the crank?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Hi do what I did and get a marker pen and number matching parts and allocate what goes in what hole, lay everything out in sequence its easy to put pistons on rods *** about and a pain in the kister removing spiral locks once there in, the bevel will face in towards the fillet of the crank so as you said dont bind looks like previous owner put pistons on wrong, there will be few that are good to go have a look
Old 06-15-2006, 10:38 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Stock rods all face the same way!
Old 06-15-2006, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

just for confirmation:

since all my rods are installed the same they are correct as is and i do not need to have any reversed, correct????

Quick Reply: which way do rods face??