Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

race with O/D off or on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default race with O/D off or on?

i have an A4 when i race should i drop it into the small D with OD off or just leave it in regular DRIVE?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess this thread will either get locked or moved to the auto tranny forum.

Essentially the auto box is only a 3 speed with an OD as opposed to a proper 4 speed.

This means it 'can' be damaging doing 3rd - 4th WOT (wide open throttle) shifts. Alternatively WOT kickdowns from 4th espcially to 2nd or 1st are particulary bad for it.

So yes I would where possible put it in D/3rd as opposed to 4th/OD and then let it do the rest.

You'll also find with it in 3rd it will be more responsive and more willing to kick down.

Depending on what final drive ratio you have this may limit your high speed ability some what.

The standard 2.73 geared cars will hit the 158mph limiter in 3rd, the optional 3.23 cars will reach the red line in 3rd before the limiter and if you have aftermarket gears like 3.73 or even 4.10s then you high speed ability will certainly be reduced even more so if you still have the stock rpm limiter in place.

From a dig it will matter less, but I'd still use 3rd because if you let off for some reason it will prevent it from shifting into 4th.