Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Planning for FI in the future, should I keep my LTs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning for FI in the future, should I keep my LTs?

Alright guys, my mods are in the sig and I need some help. I've been seriously considering going back to stock manifolds and cats for driveability reasons.

1. My car stinks. Reeks of fuel ALL the time. Especially because of the safe tune I run in the summer.

2. The y-pipe is banging worse than before. I've done everything from special hangers, to poly trans mounts, to prying at it with crowbar and nothing seems to really cure the problem.

As of late I've also been tinkering with the idea of going FI. With an underhood turbo (or even an STS for that matter), I either won't need or can't use my LTs anyway.

But, if I decide to go ATI, then a S/C will really benefit from the LTs right?

I want to go ATI simply because of the ease of installation, price, and proven durability, but will I be leaving anything on the table if I got back to stock manifolds and cats (I'm even open to running cat-less, no emissions testing here in MI).

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-16-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car smells like fuel something is wrong, and may be dangerous. Are you sure it's a fuel smell and not an exhaust smell?

If you go SC your car will NEED LT's to get the most out of it. Where is your Y-pipe banging? Have you tried wrapping the entire Y-pipe in header wrap? It can be done on the car (although it's easier off), but make sure you wear long sleeves - the wrap itches like crazy, very similar to fiberglass.

Jim
Old 06-17-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

No, it's the exhaust I'm smelling. There aren't any fuel leaks or anything like that, just the smell of exhaust that hasn't passed through the cats yet. How would wrapping the y-pipe in header wrap help?
Old 06-17-2006, 06:14 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

You shouldn't smell any exhaust from having headers on the car. If you don't have cats on your car right now, installing them should clear up some of the smell that bothers you. Magnaflow makes some really nice spun technology cats that flow really good.
The exhaust wrap was mentioned to help with the Y pipe rubbing on the floorboard.
You have Kook's headers, which are some of the better ones on the market. I would keep them, and work out the problems. Headers really help out when adding an ATI ProCharger. Bob
Old 06-18-2006, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

I thought if the Y-pipe is banging metal-on-metal somewhere, then adding a layer of fiberglass-type material could at least damp it out, instead of a harsh sound more of a muted one.

Also if you have that much of an exhaust smell, you might have a leak somewhere that's dosing you with monoxide. Also not good. Where's the exhaust exit, under the car?

Jim
Old 06-18-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

No the exhaust exits out the rear. No cats so the smell is from that. It"s definately the exhaust I"m smelling cause of not having cats. If there was a monoxide leak I woudln"t be able to smell it.

I think I"m gonna pick one of these up to go right off the driver side collector into the y-pipe:

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...st+Flex+Tubing
Old 06-19-2006, 05:08 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

I recommend you add a Kooks Y pipe with cats. below are the MSRP prices. Bob

6502S 3" Off Road Y Pipe- Stainless Each $295.00
6502MS 3" Catted Y Pipe w/ Magnaflo Metallic Cats - Stainless each $590.00
650CUS 3 1/2" Inlets Y Pipe (3 1/2" or 4" OUTLETS) each $345.00
6402 3" Y PIPE - (From Kooks Header to Stock Y Pipe) each $245.00
6402M 3" Y PIPE w/ Magnaflo Metallic Cats each $540.00

Quick Reply: Planning for FI in the future, should I keep my LTs?