Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am a new member of the tick club (suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Default I am a new member of the tick club (suggestions)

Top end is all new, heads, cam, lifters (gm), 7.4 manley pushrods etc etc.

Checked for an exhaust leak by plugging it with some rags and heard nothing get worse or anything. Almost positive it is not the exhaust.

I have not driven the car hard enough or done anything to it that would cause this noise....such as bending a pushrod on an over rev etc

The ticking has a mind of its own...sometimes on startup and sometimes not on start-up. It gets faster with engine speed but seems to go away after 3000 rpm or so. The ticking will always show up at full operating temp.

One thing I noticed is that If I drive the car at around 2000-2500 rpms or so for about 15-20 seconds or more it will almost always show up, and get worse. Like if you were cruising around town to show off your exhaust and you have it in a slightly lower gear than normal. It is loudest at this rpm.

It isnt terribly loud...but you can definately tell it is their.

Should I have went for some 7.425 pushrods? I have .040 head gaskets and I hear that the aftermarket 7.4's are slightly longer than the stockers...so I figured my pre-load wouldnt be that far out of spec.

I am getting a dyno tune on the 20th and Im not sure If I want to have this done with the ticking...or do you guys think I should try and have them figure it out? (exotic performance plus)

thanks for the help...Troy
Old 06-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend owns a speed shop which builds LSx's so I asked him which push rods I needed. The only accurate way of knowing is to measure. So I bought
adjustable push rods and set then till I got zero lash
on the rockers. When the exhaust valve open the
intake is on the base of the cam, so you set the intake and reverse for the exhaust. Then you add .030 to the measurement and that is your ideal length.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

From what I have gathered on here I dont think my pre-load is that far off. Although it would probaly be best to check it.

Any chance this ticking could be from running un-tuned? I have quite a few mods done to my car and it has never been tuned.
Maybe some kind of spark knock or knock retard from being untuned? Im not sure...but I really dont like having the tick
Old 06-18-2006, 06:09 AM
TECH Junkie

never heard of a case where a tune caused/cured ticks. Pings, yes, ticks, no.

double check your PR length. easy and cheap to do.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

I think it is your 98 spark tables. I have the same PRC LS6 heads and a XER 228. I found the exact same condition...sustained 2-3k with no real load. EFI Live Scan revealed timing in the 40s. I backed off the timing a couple of degrees in those parts of the tables and the ticking went away. Obtw, I found the prelaod to be way too much with the 7.4 TSP pr's. I exchanged them for the 7.35s. I don't know if the guys doing your dynotune will address a drivability issue like that. I would hope. If they can scan it on the road during the times/situations you described I think you would have better luck addressing the issue.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the plug wires are not arcing.