Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Recommended upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recommended upgrades

I have stock ls1 and need to know what upgrades you turbo gurus suggest before I purchase the kit: feul, valvetrain, and suspension. Basically I am building a pretty quick(500hp) street car with an occasional pass down the track. thanks.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Nobody????????
Old 06-20-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

12 bolt, 60lb injectors, 255lph fuel pump, cam, upgrade springs, etc etc.. hell just get some new heads. sfc, lca, springs, shocks, new clutch(spec stage 3 for 500hp), that's just a few off the top of my head
Old 06-20-2006, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the reply, but I don't need a clutch. my car is an auto. So you guys recommend 60 instead of 42# injectors? thanks.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

well get a stall than.. probably 2800.... I'd get 60# just to give you some room.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Start with these...

Moser 12 Bolt 4.11
Lower Control Arms
Pan Hard Rod
Torque Arm
Subframe Connectors
Strut Tower Brace
1X or 2X Walbro IT 255 HP
60lb inj's
meth injection
Old 06-20-2006, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

And dont worry about the 4L60E tranny, you will get it rebuilt soon enough lol.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bob at EPP has a really good post about this, it is recent too. search it out. he basically outlines everything you should do before you add the ole' procharger.

Josh
Old 06-21-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah if you go to the website he has a complete list before you should add FI to your car
Old 06-21-2006, 04:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1badsupersport
I have stock ls1 and need to know what upgrades you turbo gurus suggest before I purchase the kit: feul, valvetrain, and suspension. Basically I am building a pretty quick(500hp) street car with an occasional pass down the track. thanks.
I'll chime in a bit different, as I see mos replies are for the 12 bolt + a full rear suspension setup. If the car is a streetcar (mainly) + the fact you mentioned it's an auto, you can probably forgo the 12 bolt in the short term. I've seen MANY 11 and two 10 second Camaros running the STOCK 10 bolt in Hawaii without catastrophic failure. These are cars hitting the switch on 200 and 300 shots of nitrous too, I might add! Some rear ends will fail...true. It's a weak design, yep. But it's not as weak as people let on....especially in an auto. The trans will probably give out first! A torque converter and a perfoemance auto rebuild should be higher on the priority list.

LCA's and a torque arm are very helpful to stop wheelhop. That is a real concern on the street.

Other input. Don't even consider running FI + stock springs. CC918's at a minimum, but duals are even better. Upgrading the fuel system is an absolute must. At a minimum a 255gph or greater in-tank pump + hotwire kit and 42 or 60lb injectors. Even the above has been insufficient for my setup and I've added rails and a FPR with return system (still under construction). Colder spark plugs (TR6's), + a million other little details will be in order. If doing a turbo, an intercooler is almost a MUST for a street car (unless you like 200 degree intake temps). Might as well add a wideband O2 now too....that's another must if you want to monitor the engine.

There's more, but this covers some of the pre-turbo basics. Hope it helps.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

thanks Schatin, I your right on target cuz here in Midland one of my friends has a WS6 that has a fully forged motor and a nice D1 setup and his stock tranny and stall are holding up just fine as is another one my friends with the same setup but with an upgraded sts kit. the trick is they have lower stall like 3200 to keep from burning the trannies up. I will be runner the stock tranny and rear for some time until I save up. until that time I will try to keep out of it Also, what are your opinions on high flow as opposed to GMR speed? Are there any other quality kits out there that wont cost me 6 grand for a base kit? thanks for all the responses

Last edited by 1badsupersport; 06-21-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1badsupersport
thanks Schatin, I your right on target cuz here in Midland one of my friends has a WS6 that has a fully forged motor and a nice D1 setup and his stock tranny and stall are holding up just fine as is another one my friends with the same setup but with an upgraded sts kit. the trick is they have lower stall like 3200 to keep from burning the trannies up. I will be runner the stock tranny and rear for some time until I save up. until that time I will try to keep out of it Also, what are your opinions on high flow as opposed to GMR speed? Are there any other quality kits out there that wont cost me 6 grand for a base kit? thanks for all the responses
No. Even a basic STS package from TRT will be about that once the necessary upgrades mentioned before (fuel delivery, tuning, etc.... + intercooler?) are addressed. The STS only "appears" cheap compared to other systems. That's because STS doesn't include the rest of the things that front mount turbo kits have, or even things included with the ATI or Vortech kits. (once again, referring to tuning, fuel delivery, gauges, etc.)

Bottom line is FI is expensive. My "cheap STS" system has about 4K in add ons to keep my engine in one piece
Old 06-21-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I have to slightly disagree. The STS kit is a little cheaper than some other kits because of not having to buy anything else for the exhaust or intake tract. All of the other necessary upgrades do still apply. The moderately lower price and ease of installation are the tradeoffs for less efficiency compared to a front mount.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

No I meant that I was looking for a kit in the 4000$ range minus feul and the other odds and ends. GmR says there kit runs 3999, but I don't know if they will coat their kits; it's a must for me. Hiflo is another option, but I really want to wait until turnaround time is less for them. thanks.

Quick Reply: Recommended upgrades