PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag race car won't start periodically!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drag race car won't start periodically!

I have already done a search. I have a 1998 Z28. Sometimes my car won't start when they call me up to the staging lanes. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't start. I have missed elimination rounds due to this problem and want this problem fixed for good. I have the pro version of hp tuners. I have a stock 98 LS1, a TH400. On the editor I changed the System/General/Security - VATS to NONE. From what I have read this should totally disable the VATS. But I also have read in the (VCM suite help) that It does not disable the actual tests. So what the hell does it do then. I could care less if a security light is on my dash. I want the VATS to stop that test so it will start my car. What happens is the fuel pump pumps when I turn the key to the on position, then I go to turn the key to start the car and it won't crank at all. I see that the security light is on and the SES light is on. I scan it and there are no DTC's. About a month ago I changed some DTC's to Option 3- no errors reported. I thought that was suppost to delete that code. The one I deleted was P1626. I have run out of ideas. I thought I had it fixed when I changed the vats option to none. Guess not. What do I do next? I thought it might be a broken wire in the steering column so I cut the wire at the bottom of the steering column and put in the appropriate resistor. I thought that might have fixed it but that stupid security light came back a few days later. Anyways I have a National event coming up this weekend and would like to have it fixed before then. Any suggestions.

by the way this problem has always happened even before i bought a HP tuners.

The factory theft system has physically been removed from the car. Don't know if this helps or not.

Last edited by slowmaro98; 06-20-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem intermintely. If you pull the starter relay out and jump the relay does it start? If it does it means that there is a problem in the bcm. Which was the case on my car. The bcm only grounds the relay, so all you have to do is to cut the ground wire for the starter relay and run it to a good ground and that will bypass the bcm completly. Hope this helps
Old 06-20-2006, 11:32 PM
9 Second Club

First off thanks. Second I am taking this very seriously and would appreciate your prompt help, because it sure is embarassing when they call me up to the staging lanes and there I sit with a car that won't start. I read your reply and I get it but the only thing I don't get is which starter relay are you talking about bypassing. I don't remember seeing one. can you go into a little more depth, thanks at this point I will try anything.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:39 AM
9 Second Club

It seems like when I wiggle some wires under the dash something must wiggle it's way to a good connection cause that seems to do the trick sometimes. I had a look under there and I can't see any loose connections or any wires that are grounding out. I can't think of what it is. Where is the relay for the starter located and what does it look like about how big is it. I don't really want to rely on wiggling wires to try and start my car. any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks