Sponsored by:

Getting licensed/certified for <9.99

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 11:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Getting licensed/certified for <9.99

So how does this work?

Obviously I will need to have my 6pt cage turned into a 10pt, no big deal. But how do I get it certified? It is however going to suck having to cut through my stock dash in the GTO... eesh. Oh well... if the car is fast enough to require this then I need to do it. I like living!

Next how do I go about getting licensed? Do I just call up my local track and let them know or is there someone else I will need to contact?

I feel pretty certain the car will be a 9second car after the transformation its going through, but I want to figure out how I need to go about all of this certification stuff.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard there is a ton of stuff you have to take care of to run 9's

- NHRA Chassis Certification
- NHRA Competition License
- SFI jacket & pants 3.2A/5
- SFI neck collar & gloves 3.3/1
- SFI flexplate / flexplate shield

here is the form which lists some stuff on page 2 of it
look at the new driver requirements

http://www.nhra.com/contacts/forms/licenseapp.pdf

if I ever get my car capable of a 9.99 I won't make it legal.......there is no way I am cutting the car up to do a full 10pt. You might as well gut it and turn it into a full race car at that point. 9second and daily driver dont really go together.

Last edited by Dbluegoat; 06-27-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:31 AM
7 Second Club

6 runs must be made in single passes with 2 NHRA licensed drivers present for each run. This can be done on a TNT night or bracket night, but the runs MUST be single passes with an L on the car, plus you must have all time slips to present for the forms.

You must have a current physical done before licensing starts.

Check with the NHRA for a tech official to certify your cage before making license runs. You can have the car's cage certified before making license runs, but not the other way around unless you use another car that is certified for your license runs.
If you need contacts let me know as living close to an NHRA-owned track and the NHRA division 2 office I can ask questions easily!

Derek
Old 06-28-2006, 10:34 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Villain281H
6 runs must be made in single passes with 2 NHRA licensed drivers present for each run. This can be done on a TNT night or bracket night, but the runs MUST be single passes with an L on the car, plus you must have all time slips to present for the forms.

You must have a current physical done before licensing starts.

Check with the NHRA for a tech official to certify your cage before making license runs. You can have the car's cage certified before making license runs, but not the other way around unless you use another car that is certified for your license runs.
If you need contacts let me know as living close to an NHRA-owned track and the NHRA division 2 office I can ask questions easily!

Derek
Perfect I appreciate it man.

DB... I have an NHRA rulebook so I know the rules... its getting lcensed that I am curious about!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrakDay
Perfect I appreciate it man.

DB... I have an NHRA rulebook so I know the rules... its getting lcensed that I am curious about!
I was just throwing that out there.......the 2nd pg of the form pretty much said it all too about the 6passes.

Derek is a good guy too and knows his stuff
Old 06-29-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

This may help.

1st you need your cage certified. Call NHRA, tell them you want your cage certified and ask for your local tech guy's phone number. Get that done.

2nd go to http://www.nhra.com/ and go to the competition link to the top right and scroll down to the competition licence and physical forms and print out the forms.

3rd Make an appointment and have your physical done.

4th Take your car to the track with all your forms filled out and bring your completed physical form and take them to the tower and ask for the track manager. Tell him what you want to do and he will tell you what to do.

5th Make your passes and get the track manager and 2 licenced drivers to sign the forms.

6th Take all your forms and time slips and make copies and file the copies. Mail the originals to NHRA. I took copies as I heard horror stories of paper work being lost and everything has to be done over again.

7th In a few weeks you will recieve your licence in the mail.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:37 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks Tom... Great info there!

I can't wait to get the car running again and make a few shakedown passes. Should be mid-high 9s!