Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

just ordeed BFG KD's WOWWW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default just ordeed BFG KD's WOWWW!!!

i just ordered 4 BFG KD's from discount tire... 295/35/18's and 275/40/17's $1500 installed!!!!but i can wait i have heard only good about these tires...good choice??
Old 06-30-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are awesome dry traction tires. Just pray you never get stuck in a rain storm with those. They are like driving on ice in the rain. Very scary. I do not do any wet weather driving in my Z but my experience with the KD's (buddy's car) in a storm was so upsetting that I went with the KDW2's just in case. I still think the KDW2's will wind up killing my rear as they hook so much better than the crap Kuhmo's I used to have on my car. the KD's are even better than the KDW2's for dry roads. Enjoy!
Old 06-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Launching!

dude, you paid way too much. Always, always, always check tirerack before buying tires at a shop. Also, ask discout tire if they will price match tirerack, they usually will. You endup paying more because you have to pay tax, but it's nice to be able to take them back to a store if you have problems. Let us know how they handle.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
They are awesome dry traction tires. Just pray you never get stuck in a rain storm with those. They are like driving on ice in the rain. Very scary. I do not do any wet weather driving in my Z but my experience with the KD's (buddy's car) in a storm was so upsetting that I went with the KDW2's just in case. I still think the KDW2's will wind up killing my rear as they hook so much better than the crap Kuhmo's I used to have on my car. the KD's are even better than the KDW2's for dry roads. Enjoy!

I agree......Try your best not to drive in Rain......
Old 06-30-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.tirerack.com

www.discounttiredirect.com

price really should have been alot cheaper... I was quoted less than that for 275/35/18 & 315/30/18 michelin PS2's :boggle:
Old 06-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

his price was probaly with the free replacement certificates. you may pay a little more at discount but when you need a tire fixed, balanced, or have a blowout and need a tire you cant just go down to your local tirerack store and get helped. thats the benefit of going to a store.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

They are great tires but they will wear quickly, they have outstanding dry traction and are imho one of the best looking tires out there. Good choice.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Default Try BFG DRs

Originally Posted by who281
i just ordered 4 BFG KD's from discount tire... 295/35/18's and 275/40/17's $1500 installed!!!!but i can wait i have heard only good about these tires...good choice??
If you think those are good, try the BFG DRs, they are awesome. I have the BFG KDW 2s and the DRs are superior on dry roads. The KDW 2s are by far the best tire in the rain that I've had. But I'm going with dry traction over rain because here in Las Vegas, we hardly get any. The roads here are very slick and the DRs are perfect. Later
Old 06-30-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I paid $1k for the latest KDW's... they rock in dry AND wet. Sound like you might have paid a bit much.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00_Z
his price was probaly with the free replacement certificates. you may pay a little more at discount but when you need a tire fixed, balanced, or have a blowout and need a tire you cant just go down to your local tirerack store and get helped. thats the benefit of going to a store.
yes it was...thats why so much
Old 07-01-2006, 02:03 AM
On The Tree

I love my Goodyear Eagle F-1 D-3's they hook awesome in dry and nothing will touch them in the wet!
Old 07-01-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Good choice on tires. As for wet traction they are not that bad. Was on a wet skid pad and got .79g. With better drving on my part it would of been even higher. As for tire life as long as you are not during burnout everyday you should get good life. I have a set that has 23,000 + on them and I have put close to 400 road course miles with aggreessive alignment settings. Make sure you rotate every 3 to 4 thoudands miles.

John
Old 07-01-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

Hate to tell you this, but...
I just ordered a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's from Sears for only $258 each.
I did an Ultra Car Performance tire comparison on the Tire Rack site and these tires are 2nd highest rated; they win hands down over all others including Good Year F1, BFG KDW's, Yokohama, Pirelli etc. etc.
My 2002 Firehawk has only had Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP's on it since I took delivery, but they don't make them anymore.
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's are OEM on some of the fastest cars in the world.
That's good enough to earn my $$$.
I'm having them installed locally by a top notch shop who will be refinishing my OEM SLP Firehawk wheels for me before installing and balancing.
If you compare on Tire Rack, these ARE the best rated tires for least amount of road noise, best wet and dry traction, treadwear, etc.
I'm anxious to get them on the car and see what's up. Especially since I'll be upping th HP this month with a set of Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers...
Old 07-02-2006, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dawg One
I just ordered a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's from Sears for only $258 each.
I did an Ultra Car Performance tire comparison on the Tire Rack site and these tires are 2nd highest rated; they win hands down over all others including Good Year F1, BFG KDW's, Yokohama, Pirelli etc. etc.
My 2002 Firehawk has only had Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP's on it since I took delivery, but they don't make them anymore.
I'm having them installed locally by a top notch shop who will be refinishing my OEM SLP Firehawk wheels for me before installing and balancing.
If you compare on Tire Rack, these ARE the best rated tires for least amount of road noise, best wet and dry traction, treadwear, etc.
I'm anxious to get them on the car and see what's up. Especially since I'll be upping th HP this month with a set of Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers...
well motor trend recently did a test and the F1 GSD3 out performed the ps2 . but the ps2's are really good tires
Old 07-03-2006, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

good choice my man! I just drove in some heavy rain in my KD's and had no problems. As long as you take it easy. You're gonna love em' !
Old 07-03-2006, 01:49 AM
12 Second Club

wow you paid more just for tires then I did for Rims and tires and I have 11" rims with 315 drag radials on the back.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dawg One
You do realize the tire rack sites ratings are customer ratings.

PSP2's are damn good tires but like was stated the GS-D3's outperformed them all in a few magazine tests. If rain isn't an issue I'd rather have the KD's. If rain is the D3's.

Good choice.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

The KD is an excelllent tire. and like people have mentioned, take it easy it you drive in the rain.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had to drive my Camaro last year as my only car through fall. I've never had a problem in the rain. Any tire is going to be squirrelly in rain. And yes, dry weather, they are THE cats ***. I scare people that ride with me when I show them their capabilities. Unless you're going to scorching them, they don't wear like people think. I've done my share of shitys and brake stands. When it's nice and warm out, they hook almost like a slick. They don't make a whole lot of noise either when you rip them. I also got a very sweet deal from my father-in-law when he worked at SLP. $900 for tires WITH SS/ZR1 take offs. I could not pass that up.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Default Say What You Want...

...But when these tires come OEM from the factory on the BMW Alpina Z8, McLaren SLR and Porsche GT2 & GT3 models, they sure as hell will handle ANY F-body on this site. They're used by BMW Motorsport, Mercedes AMG, Porsche and Audi. At the price they cost, I can understand they're not for everyone, but I decided pretty fast when I wore out my 1st set of Firestone Firehawk's that I wasn't cutting ANY corners on a $34,500 car when it comes to tires and brakes. Since I live in Florida, wet handling and road noise are very important to me. I'm sure if you live in other dry states and where you stash the car 6 months out of the year for winter, it's not as important.