Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

4L60E vs. T56...which one is more suitable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E vs. T56...which one is more suitable?

Well, I was sort of browsing around and I found a 98' Trans Am with 53k miles on the car...its been taken care of, the car is quite clean inside and out (there is a scratch on the spoiler but not a big issue)

the owner is asking 9800 for it...which I think seems to be a relatively good price for it. It is basically stock, aside from a cutout and it has an air intake.

My original intention was to buy a 6spd LS1 just because manuals in my opinion are the way to go. They seem to be alot more fun to drive..and I was also told that manuals are faster than autos, although I don't know if thats neccessarily true.

Manuals are more fun and it is power when you need it, but dare I ask, how much slower are the autos then the manuals? Looking at the condition of this car, I would say that if i took it to the dyno it would probably be putting out maybe 285-290rwhp...its got aftermarket wheels too and the tires are brand new.

I am not sure how badly this will shoot my insurance rate up, but I reckon it shouldnt be too bad.

I found a similar car that has a 6spd transmission (Z28 though), it was blue, it had about 68k miles on it, and the guy is asking 11,900. I haven't seen it up close but from the pics it looks like a good one.

I have always wanted a manual transmission based car, but that Trans Am looks like a nice car and it really is.

My question is, would I enjoy the automatic as much as a manual? I want to have the power to get up and go when I need to...
Old 06-30-2006, 03:53 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's a recent thread on this very subject: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/525729-auto-firebird-slow-i-think.html

Quick Reply: 4L60E vs. T56...which one is more suitable?