Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

worthwhile to change stock 241 heads to 317 (LQ9) heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worthwhile to change stock 241 heads to 317 (LQ9) heads

I am just wondering if it would be worth it power wise to change out my stock 241 heads for some LQ9 heads. Looks like I can get a set of LQ9 heads for about 250$ complete. Is the half point compression drop worth it, or should I spend the money eslewhere, like a meth kit?
Old 07-01-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Lq9 heads are comparible in flow to the ls6 heads...Another added benefit to the heads are as you stated which is the compression drop of about a half point...When you drop it from 10:1 to 9.5:1 it's going to have a margin of safety...It's definitely worth it...You can then go and maybe have the bowls blended or whatever else to make them flow better...I would go ahead and upgrade the springs though no matter what....
Old 07-01-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What charger of turbo will you be using?

I agree with the post above. However, I have a forged bottom end with stock cam, LS6 intake, and untouched 317 heads. I have a 76GTS turbo and I am looking at aftermarket heads that will put my compression ratio back to stock. The nice thing about a little higher compression ratio is if you have a small blower or turbo, the extra compression will give you a little more power. Remember, that you need the octane to support certain power amounts and boost levels. So keep these variables in mind when choosing. One head will let you run more on pump gas and one will yield a little higher power output with race gas. Cam choice will also help a person get more power on pump gas.

Do a search. Builders like Slowhawk will use compression ratio to get more power out of smaller blower units. Rob at Strictly Performance also maintains a higher compression ratio, and he had one of the highes D1 or P1 cars out there. Something like 800 at the tire through an auto with stock Procharger intercooler.

Food for thought, Good luck.

Glenn

Quick Reply: worthwhile to change stock 241 heads to 317 (LQ9) heads