Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you shim Jesel SS rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how do you shim Jesel SS rockers?

can I just put washers under the rocker stand or is there some other way to do it? I've got 1.85" install height with my new valves/springs and there is no way these rockers are going to work as is. the rockers hit the retainers WAY before they can touch the valve. probably by 0.100
only fixes I can think of are clearancing the rockers and/or shiming the stands.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shimming the pedestals up will move the rocker as well, which will throw off geometry. What diameter spring is it?
Old 07-04-2006, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

1.46 OD with a big *** retainer on it.

I'm going to have to take an assload of material out of the rockers for them not to hit i want to make sure to get opinions on this before i cut up a $700 set of rockers.

my install height on my springs did change from 1.78 to 1.85.

Last edited by 383ss; 07-04-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

I'm using Jessel SS's and shimmed the stands .050" at first. My wipe was too wide and too far to the exhaust side, so I put on .025" shims. That did the trick as far as centering and reducing the wipe as much as I could. Call Jesel. They have shim kits in .025", .050" and .100". They are essentially steel washers that have been ground or machined to those sizes.
---
I also had to remove material from mine. I have a Taig milling machine and fly cutter. I was able to set the fly cutter to a size a little larger ~.050" that the spring and while centered over the roller tip took out about.070". This gave me a relief but the relief has borders that follow the original underneath contour. On Jessel's site the have a small writeup on the SS series strength. The originally had them spec'ed for 800lbs. seat pressure max, but after several thousand hours of testing have made the seat pressure unlimited... Not sure what that means except they must be VERY strong. So if you take out material that way, I'm sure you'll be ok. I am running about 145lbs. seat pressure now on shimmed Patriot Gold duals, and no problems with many trips to 6900rpm's. I'd post up some picks but they are already in the car.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ArKay99
I'm using Jessel SS's and shimmed the stands .050" at first. My wipe was too wide and too far to the exhaust side, so I put on .025" shims. That did the trick as far as centering and reducing the wipe as much as I could. Call Jesel. They have shim kits in .025", .050" and .100". They are essentially steel washers that have been ground or machined to those sizes.
---
I also had to remove material from mine. I have a Taig milling machine and fly cutter. I was able to set the fly cutter to a size a little larger ~.050" that the spring and while centered over the roller tip took out about.070". This gave me a relief but the relief has borders that follow the original underneath contour. On Jessel's site the have a small writeup on the SS series strength. The originally had them spec'ed for 800lbs. seat pressure max, but after several thousand hours of testing have made the seat pressure unlimited... Not sure what that means except they must be VERY strong. So if you take out material that way, I'm sure you'll be ok. I am running about 145lbs. seat pressure now on shimmed Patriot Gold duals, and no problems with many trips to 6900rpm's. I'd post up some picks but they are already in the car.
good info... all I have to work with is a dremel, die grinder and electric grinder. I'm running about 160# closed and a little over 400 open. nowhere close to 800, so that makes me feel better

I'm not sure I exactly understand where you ground out.
I think you are saying you set the grinder to .050 bigger OD than the spring, centered the grinder over the roller rocker and took out .070 depth?
so now the side profile of the rocker is different, right? I was trying to stay away from that if I could for strength reasons, but probably don't have a choice.

a picture would be great!!
Old 07-04-2006, 08:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you don't have anyone local to clearance your rockers, LME can take care of them for you. We have to clearance them on a regular basis.

Give us a call if we can help.

Thanks,
Bryan
LME
713-849-4505
Old 07-04-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 383ss
good info... all I have to work with is a dremel, die grinder and electric grinder. I'm running about 160# closed and a little over 400 open. nowhere close to 800, so that makes me feel better

I'm not sure I exactly understand where you ground out.
I think you are saying you set the grinder to .050 bigger OD than the spring, centered the grinder over the roller rocker and took out .070 depth?
so now the side profile of the rocker is different, right? I was trying to stay away from that if I could for strength reasons, but probably don't have a choice.

a picture would be great!!
I didn't use a grinder. I used a flycutter. It's sort of a rotating lathe cutting tool that fit's into a special chuck. You adjust the amount the cutter protrudes from the chuck. I disassembled the rockers and laid them in the vise on the milling machine so the underside of the rocker was facing up. I set them so a flat cut would be close to the angle the cutter would cut at. Then I found the center of the roller. With the flycutter set to ~.050" larger than the spring, because the spring walks a little under the retainer I brought the cutting head down until I started to make contact. Then went down another .070". This gave me a circular cut slightly larger that the spring and retainer underneath. Clearance. Yes the side of the rocker's profile is slightly different, but not much. Most of the material is removed within the body and the circualr cut only removes about .025" from the side contour. You are still left with a lot material on the side.
---
I would let Bryan do it. Heck, if I'd know LME does it, they would have had my business.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bryan@LME
If you don't have anyone local to clearance your rockers, LME can take care of them for you. We have to clearance them on a regular basis.

Give us a call if we can help.

Thanks,
Bryan
LME
713-849-4505

awesome I'll be calling you and sending them tomorrow!

Quick Reply: how do you shim Jesel SS rockers?