Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

supercharger problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger problems

1. ok so i installed my supercharger about 75 miles ago and its been running really rough like sputtering when i accelerate. i have no idea whats going on with that problem.

2. i think maybe my fuel pressure gauge is acting up. it is working properly MOST of the time (40 at idle, 60 on WOT). then recently its been STUCK at 30 psi and doesnt move at all, but i can start my car 10 minutes later and its fine. but then sometimes when i go WOT it only goes to about 50. maybe this is just cuz my car is sputtering? or maybe its the fuel pump? injectors? i have no idea...

help!?!
Old 07-05-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did have the car reprogrammed for the blower right? If you did id get another fuel pressure gauge on there to see if you have a bad gauge or you really have a pressure issue. What upgrades have you done to the fuel system?
Old 07-05-2006, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

no other upgrades and no tuning. its only 6psi of boost.

i changed the fuel filter and its still sputtering a little. idk what else to try

Last edited by dmw319; 07-05-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

i wouldn't be driving it too much until you figure it out. put a mechanical fuel gauge and see if its holding steady. do you have a rising rate regulator?

change the plugs and look at them, that'll clue you. could be electrical never know.

most importantly you need to get that thing tuned man, your stock pcm will not be able to add enough fuel under boost.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree. Get that thing on a chasis dyno ASAP before you do anything else. I would change the plugs to be safe. What kind of fuel system you running? injectors? Does is sputter at idle or WOT? How does it sound at idle? How many miles are on the engine itself?

Jayson
Old 07-05-2006, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

there is 84k on the motor and all the fuel system is stock. i had it cleaned out about 1k miles ago and the plugs were changed at the same time the supercharger was installed. i dont have a rising rate regulator.

it gets sputtery when you open it up WOT or give it a good amount of gas. idle seems normal.

i will get my car tuned eventually, but it SHOULD be able to run smoothly untuned.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

the sputtering is probably from not being able to add enough fuel or your electrical system is subpar.

under wot on a stock pcm your car is not gonna run right at all, in fact it could be and probably is detonating.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

check if your alternator has oil on it, this has caused a sputtering problem on my car when my return line for my blower took a ****.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:59 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I would get your car tuned immediately, as you are taking a big risk without one. Without knowing where the air/fuel ratio is at wide open throttle can spell trouble in a hurry. Bob
Old 07-06-2006, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

remember my car is a v6, and its only 6psi. ive known many people that have run their car untuned with 6psi with no prioblems.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Teching In

It does not matter wheather its a 6 banger it still needs a tune. Everything needs a tune when you add/increase boost.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I would get your car tuned immediately, as you are taking a big risk without one. Without knowing where the air/fuel ratio is at wide open throttle can spell trouble in a hurry. Bob

Bob knows his info on these Forced Induction cars. I have heard nothing but good things in relation to EPP. Listen to the man and go get a dyno tune, you won't regret it
Old 07-06-2006, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

i plan on gettng a tune, i just want it to run right first. but i guess youre right. i might need the tune to get it running right.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

The first problem is your fuel system. You need to be running either and inline or a new drop in the tank fuel pump. The second problem is tuning. You have 2 options. You can spring and get HPtuners for tuning or you can put a bandaid on it and put on an FMU. You'll be albe to run around 7-9PSI with the FMU. In order to run more boost you'll need to upgrade the injectors which mean you'll need to get some tuning software. You need to change out th spark plugs as well. NGK TR6's are what you need to be running.

You can not run boost on a stock fuel system in a V6. You have to upgrade it.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmw319

i will get my car tuned eventually, but it SHOULD be able to run smoothly untuned.
That is just screwed up. I added a supercharger and it should run just fine on the stock tune/setup

Then,I'll just keep beating on it till it runs good,then go check the tune out
Old 07-06-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
That is just screwed up. I added a supercharger and it should run just fine on the stock tune/setup

Then,I'll just keep beating on it till it runs good,then go check the tune out
Thanx i needed a good laught the way my day at work has been going!
Old 07-06-2006, 03:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by dmw319
it gets sputtery when you open it up WOT or give it a good amount of gas. idle seems normal.

Running smoothly, and being able to accept WOT are two completely different things....

If you go WOT at all, you are just begging to blow the thing up.

As others have stated, get it tuned immediately, and if you cant, do not even consider using more than about 20-30% throttle at any time until you do.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sputtering or a "popping noise" coming from the engine compartment sometime means their is not enough fuel in the air/fuel mixture. I.E. your running lean. Bob @ EPP is telling you what to do to PREVENT any serious damage. Put that thing on a chasis dyno ASAP. I can almost guarantee your running WAY lean. Keep in mind that in ANY forced induction setup you'd rather run a little rich then a little lean. Hope this helps.

Jayson
Old 07-06-2006, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

thanks everyone. it helps a lot. i do have ngktr6 plugs gapped correctly and i do have an FMU working properly. i plan to get a dyno, then send it off to tsp to get a retune. hopefully it will help me out.

and to all of you who think you cant run a 6psi boost on an untuned car.. youre wrong. i have 3 friends who have all done it no problem. i think the difference is that i have an electronic TB and there's is all manual with an angled TB and mine is straight. this might have something to do with it.. oh well.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

also i have a bad rattle at idle. i replaced the idler pulley when i installed the supercharger because the kit didnt have one so i went and bought a ribbed one. could that be the issue? i cant tell whats making the noise!?

Quick Reply: supercharger problems