Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need help.....i am confused

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help.....i am confused

Well but the car on the dyno today and made 2 passes...first pass great, but no tach signal so no read out....o well right. Well the 2nd pass SMOKE!!!!!! o noooooooos.....looked like some major blow-by basically lifted the oil filler neck up and some oil got on the headers, but also smoked a little from the rear end..no strange sounds comming from the car all the gauges are reading fine.....(only one that looks a little off is the boost gauges reading 18-19" of vac at idle)...but no the car is dripping a little coolant from front driver side of the block looks to be right above the alt....not 100% sure on location yet but...i am thinking headgasket

it only leaks about a 1/4-1/3 cup (if that) once the car has been shut down after a drive than it stops. i sprayed the area down with break cleaner and am gonna look at it some more tomorrow.....

also check the coolant, and no sign of any oil at all...so that kinda makes me think its not a headgasket.

lets here what you guys think....and please give it to me straight.....your not gonna hirt my feelings
Old 07-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Launching!

what are the rest of the specs of the runs? boost pressure.. engine etc.. just for us who are not familiar? you may have lifted a head causing the coolant leak.. as for th smoke and the pushing the filler cap out... hmmm.. thats not good. I had smoke on mine but only on deeleration telling me I have some crank case pressure but not enough to come out anywhere its not supposed to.. just sucking it past the rings when the throttle blades close.. smoke while under load might mean rings are gone or maybe a piston lost a land. any other information fromt he run?

Chris
Old 07-09-2006, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

sry....stock motor .....cammed comp xer .581 lift 224duration both intake and exhaust 114 lsa

sts turbo system with trt fmic....60lb injectors...

sts pcv "switch" that i think might have failed causing the crank pressure....had some moderate amonts of smoke comming out of the tail pipe...

its not smoking any more....i am just worried about the leak
Old 07-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Launching!

if it is pushing coolant out between the heads and block, can you see pressure being forced into the cooling system while the car is running? IE.. with the filler cap removed and the engine running is coolant blowing out or bubbling? if so its a head gasket.. is the leak still present or has it gone away?

Chris
Old 07-09-2006, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

still leaking.......so you are saying run the car up to temp with the cap off and see if it bubbles a lot? if it is bubbles a lot its a headgasket?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

could it be the temp sensor?!?!?! going to check on a wim and hoping i am right!!!
Old 07-09-2006, 12:33 AM
12 Second Club

nope wasnt that......

did the radiator test thing to.....little bit of white foam on top but no bubbles just swirling foam. like i said i break cleaned the whole area and i am gonna let it sit over night and track down where the coolant is comming from.....i really would like this to not be a head gasket but if it is o well.....
Old 07-09-2006, 12:59 AM
Launching!

it still could be a mild head gasket blow, but if it were bad, it would push combustion pressure into the cooling system.. and/or pull coolant into the cylinder and push it past the rings into the oil pan.. milky oil?

CHris
Old 07-09-2006, 01:11 AM
12 Second Club

its 2am here...i will check that one in the morning......got a couple more ideas on what it could be but still running mainly with this head gasket one......

how prone are the totally dont know the name for this one but gonna describe it to the best of my ability.....(metal coolant line that goes under the intake manifold)....are they known to leak at all? because its really not a lot of coolant at all
Old 07-09-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mitch, that bypass is not likely to leak. It just allows coolant to pass from head to head. How much boost were you running? What was mentioned before could be right. If you have blown a head gasket, you may be blowing combustion into the coolant system which usually makes it overheat very fast.
If you were having oil blow out the dipstick tube, I would check the pcv switch valve first. Make sure the lines are correct and it is switching. I have another at the shop if you need one.
By the way, the spring should be there Mon.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

its not overheating.....nothing is "wrong" with the way the car is driving.....that is the part that is confusing me...if you didnt notice the leak it would be impossible to tell that anything was really wrong with the car.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

o yea an i was running 8psi of boost
Old 07-09-2006, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

no more leak....left 1 drop on the driveway over the past 6hrs...and i have drove it 1 time and ran it to temp and let it cool down 1 time.

pulled a plug looks fine

vac at idle is perfect

no oil in coolant

no coolant near oil cap

I AM SO CONFUSED!!!!

IS MY CAR OK?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well Mitch, if there is nothing wrong at the time, its hard to know what to fix. I'm trying not to think something bad happened. Its good there is no noise at idle; ticking or anything.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

NOTHING!!

i am so confused!

drove it to work to see if i could get it to leak again...gonna go out and check it in a little
Old 07-09-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn thats weird, hope you figure it out buddy
Old 07-09-2006, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

thanks man....yea my car hates me....i throw all this money at it and what do i get....it takes a **** in my driveway!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:37 AM
12 Second Club

ok...its still leaking so basically what i have figured out is that it leaks after it has been DRIVEN "normally".... but not after just allowing to heat cycle in the driveway. I am gonna go get some uv dye tomorrow and throw it into the system and check it out with my uv light see what i can come up with. IF it is indeed the headgasket it does not seem to be getting into the pistons at all because i am not getting ANY smoke....or anything else that would make you think blown gasket....

cars are strange!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Teching In

The smoke from the rear is most likely from to much oil pressure going to the turbo and not enough getting pumped back by the STS return oil pump. You need to verify that the pump is switching to high under boost. If the pump stays on low, then the oil pressure gets to high at the turbo and some oil will leak over.

As far as the oil leak up front under boost, you can setup a catchcan and mount a regular (k&N style) breather in place of the stock cap. Route your oil return line to the drivers side rear valve cover, there is a factory port not used that the oil line will fit right on with a regular worm clamp to hold it. It's a much cleaner setup.

Here are some pics of my setup for reference.

The last pic shows the oil return line just to the right of the fuel rail.

Ed

Attached Thumbnails Need help.....i am confused-sts-turbo-gto-2-015.jpg   Need help.....i am confused-sts-turbo-gto-2-014.jpg   Need help.....i am confused-sts-turbo-gto-2-012.jpg   Need help.....i am confused-sts-turbo-gto-2-013.jpg  
Old 07-10-2006, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

ok it is smoking white smoke under boost but that is the only time something seems "wrong"

and it is still randomly leaking coolant when i park it....

Quick Reply: Need help.....i am confused