Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

New NSX Vs. HAWK

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New NSX Vs. HAWK

i guess i got very lucky. i was on the phone with my gf and i noticed an orange/red colored vehicle was pacing me on my left. so i hung up and looked my left and i see new NSX and he was trying to race me.. so i figure why not? cuz i never raced one. we both gave nods and i dropped to 50mph (thatz my sweet spot) and i forced it into 2nd gear... holding and honking 1...2...3... BAM.. we both hit it @ same time and i pulled on him very easily. i was very shocked i mean seriously, this guy doesnt know how to drive it?? or are they really that slow.. talking about no HP. i pulled on him good 5 plus cars till 90mph befo i tab on my brakes. well he gave me a thumbs up and i went home. i guess im only racing easy ones.. cant wait to race the NEW z06. i wonder how i will do against it...
Old 07-09-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

Good kill, but you may not know what you just started. It seems every time someone posts anything about an NSX (good or bad) things get pretty heated. This could easily turn into a five page thread. Again nice kill though.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:36 AM
NKAWTG...N

They are that slow. Mid thirteens stock, maybe low 13's for the new ones.

A lightly modded ls1 will destroy any NSX that has anything short of 20k in it.

But then again try racing it on an auto-x course and you will be dead.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

NSXs aren't drag cars. You would think that with that exotic appearance (they look nothing short of amazing) that it would have it all, but really they aren't beasts on the street.

Awesome run-in nonetheless, good kill!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would've thought with the cost of a NSX it would have some decent *****. I guess not...
Old 07-09-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

i just did some research and they are mid 13sec cars. i guess they are handmade cars cuz they are upper 80 grand. must be a killer auto-x vehicle.. i overestimated it cuz of their looks.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Teching In

If this happened, it's probably very well due to the driver of the NSX. What are your mods? How much power do you make? Did the NSX have pop-up headlights or fixed?

Also, lets not always use the worst quarter mile times when talking about the NSX. Car and Driver clocked 12.9@110 mph in 1998, and a private owner has ran his stock car to a better time than that.

And what is up with all of this "but for the cost it should be faster stuff"? What other sports cars for $90k or lower have world class handling, an all aluminium body, and will still be running as strong as new at 350,000 miles? And you need to remember that most NSX owners are spending just as low of a percentage (maybe even lower) of their worth on their vehicle than a lot of you are on your vehicle. So let's not bring up the cost argument.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Never Seen X?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol, i saw this coming,.... anyway. andyrt, chill man!! no one is saying these cars are rolling hunks of crap, yet. what were saying is this guy with an nsx went out and picked a fight with a bigger guy. maybe he likes the movie fight club, and likes to get his *** handed to him on the highway... im sure from a dig would have been a different story due to weight, but if your v-6 makes only 225 ft lbs of torque, and its done at 5500 rpms, and you rev to 8000.... dont go picking ona factory car with a 6 speed that makes over 300 at the wheels. I by no means am the most powerful or fastest car on this board, but my cam only car has more torque available from 2000 rpms than that car makes at its peak. Once again, the highway, not the place for a nsx owner to try his luck with an ls1 equipped car...

Now, this is the street racing forum. if this was the autox forum, this is how it would have read: "I was tooling around my local autox course, listening to my girlfriend yap on speaker phone when i noticed a car come up in my rearview so fast it had to be a ferrari or lambo.. I quickly hung up on her and gave it everything i had, downshifted apexed every corner and took up as much of the course as i could so as not to be overtaken by this italian beast. Finally my efforts were proven futile when the mystery man pulled up and passed me in an orange NSX!! He was sipping a latte and driving with one hand as he effortlessly overtook me. I think i heard Beladuche on his radio? After he wisked by me i decided to follow his line, but he stuck in the corner like he had elmers glue on his tires. Finally we wipped into a hairpin, and my fat pig of a car couldnt handle it as i went shooting off into the sand. They had to tow me out since i dont drive a 4x4. Just wait until i catch that little bastard at the drag strip though. Then ill show him what 5.7 litres of american pushrod technology is for...."

And viola!! instant turn of events. Honestly though, you sound liek a ricer though making excuses for your beloved car. Here is the final straw. This man took his stock or mostly stock (from what we know) NSX, got on the highway and found someone more suited than him to run. He lost. We have all lost. In this current situation your nsx could be worth more, more exotic, more rare, and have a automatic bj giver under the dash, but it still got waxed by an american hunk of GM crap.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned

Cool race TX, alot of us would have done the same thing.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Teching In

01redt/a,

I understand what you're trying to say,and if the other car in question were a Z06 it might make some sense. But there are a few things that I think I need to explain:

1. Horsepower is only one factor in the equation of how fast a car is. Aero, Weight and Gearing play a huge role. The NSX has advantages in all of these factors. Also, torque isn't that relevant unless you are going right out of a hole. Why do you think a C4 Corvette would get smoked by a 360 Modena with 60 less lb/ft of torque.

2. The F-bodys simply doesn't come close to the same acceleration and speed numbers that a 3.2 Liter NSX can. When has a stock F-body been document to run 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds? When has a stock F-body been document to reach 175 mph?

I'm not trying to dog on F-bodies in any way, I think they are a nice value for the money. I am just trying to paint a realistic picture for people.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Andy 98RT10
I'm not trying to dog on F-bodies in any way, I think they are a nice value for the money. I am just trying to paint a realistic picture for people.
Or trying to paint a realstic picture for yourself, because your Honda at an exotic price got burned by GM's old, tried-and-true formula from the 60's!

I'm just messing with you, but you seem a bit defensive. Especially since you pulled up the "nice value for the money" bit. These cars are not a nice value, they're an EXCELLENT, hard to rival value. $12 to go mid 13s stock, and for an engine that responds extremely well to bolt-ons? And I dare-say, VERY reliable?

Yes please.

Speaking of mods, let's keep in mind that the Hawk IS modded. Neither the NSX's possible mods nor the Hawk's are listed.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

It has begun
Old 07-09-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Andy, of course there are alot of factors in going fast. We only are talking about this one instance. In this instance this f-body beat that nsx. The nsx instigated the race. so in this one instance the fbody was superior. It is no way a dig on the nsx, that car is very capable of what it does. To defend the cars honor in the way you have only shows that you are embarrased by the loss to a lowly fbody and must make sure that we understand our place in the food chain. Thats where you will run into problems. I might not have the fastest car, quickest, lightest, best handling, or anything else for that matter, but i am very proud of my car, its history, and its ability. Anyone who doesnt think that a car that comes from the factory, with the capability of doing what these cars do on a regular basis with what they do it with (being old school technology) is just silly. Maybe you just have to be a gear head at heart to understand the modern f-body.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Do they still make NSX's? Anyway, they aren't the fastest cars, but they look cool.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Teching In

They made them from 91-05. By 97 though they were only producing 200 or so a year, that's why you don't see nearly as many later models. There are around 8000 in the U.S. and another 8000 in the rest of the world.

A new model is in the works though.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought they scrapped the nsx altogether? im no expert on the japanese market but i thought they had ended the run. are they retooling it to run with these so called supercars like the new skyline and supra?
Old 07-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Red,

They did end the current run in '05, but honda has been working on a replacement which they claim will be out as an '08 model.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Launching!

2. The F-bodys simply doesn't come close to the same acceleration and speed numbers that a 3.2 Liter NSX can. When has a stock F-body been document to run 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds? When has a stock F-body been document to reach 175 mph?

Must we compare 1/4 mile times? I'm sure a stock (with the exception of the limiter removal) ls1 f-body will run into the 170's.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm comparing a nsx to a z06? a stock c5 z06 would rape a stock nsx, not just beat it. wich year z06 are you comparing it to...c6 z06 would make a joke of either cars.. lightly modded ls1's pull like crazy, especailly up top. there has also been stock ls1's run quicker quarter mile times then the nsx times you posted... so what? 12.8's in a fast fords magazine... .. idk 0-60 times. there not really of intrests to me.. the only 0-60 time i care to remeber was put donw by a 900hp lingafelter c5 twin turbo corvette 0-60 in 1.89 seconds .. but other then that all the rest seem boring. i rather look at 1/4 times. how is a 80k car = in price to " most of what f body owners spend+ there car " as you say^.....i still have yet to break 1,500$ into my car+the 17kafter taxes i spent to buy it 18.5=80 ? your maths alil off ... with my 18.5k$ car 100% stock internals+no power adders, i would beat a stock nsx considerably and have previously with less mods then i currently have. i consider myself to have light/moderate mods for the averge dd car on here......your trying to pull a rabbit out of you butt with your post's.