Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Copper gasket spray

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copper gasket spray

Just picked up some loctite coppper gasket spray at auto zone.

I intend to use it on my Cometic MLS head gaskets and GM MLS exhaust manifold gaskets.

Just wondering how you guys apply it... Do you just lightly spray each side of the gasket.. then put it on the head?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeap...
Old 07-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Launching!

That stuff works great i used it on my GN and a set of SCE copper head gaskets that wouldnt seal up, no issues for almost a year.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't need it on the exhaust gaskets..the GM OEM gaskets will work perfect without the copper stuff on them..
Old 07-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Don't need it on the exhaust gaskets..the GM OEM gaskets will work perfect without the copper stuff on them..

it can't hurt though right?

Another question... Do you guys spray that stuff on the gaskets and allow the coppwer spray to dry for a few mins...

Or do you try to get tevything bolted up while the spray is still wet?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viewsonic

Another question... Do you guys spray that stuff on the gaskets and allow the coppwer spray to dry for a few mins...

I'm not that much of an explorer so I tend to follow mfg recommendations. So to that end I would use the copper spray as recommended by the mfg. I'd also pay attention to what Cometic recommends and if I'm not mistaken they say not to use sealer with their head gaskets. JM2C.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It has been used many times (I used it even) with excellent results.
I think Cometic should concentrate on making their MLS not leak ! Like factory ones
Old 07-13-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
It has been used many times (I used it even) with excellent results.
I think Cometic should concentrate on making their MLS not leak ! Like factory ones
I hear ya. I'm still undecided as to how I'll install my Cometics. To spray or not to spray, that is the question. I might just go with a light dusting.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Take a poll and see how many people have had their metal OEM header gaskets leak..I'll save you the time..you will find non..GM used nothing on them during assembly and they have built millions of the LSx series motors and exhaust manifold leakage is not a problem..I work in a chevy dealership and have never seen one come in for an exhaust leak due to a gasket seal problem..that copper stuff is a unessary mess to clean up if you use it and then end up taking off the headers in the future..if it isn't broke why phuch with it..you can use the OEM metal gaskets more than once dude..

Last edited by slt200mph; 07-13-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I hear ya. I'm still undecided as to how I'll install my Cometics. To spray or not to spray, that is the question. I might just go with a light dusting.

If you are going to use the product (copper coat) you might as well use it following the manufacturers intructions for use..why "dust it"..
Old 07-13-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slt200mph
If you are going to use the product (copper coat) you might as well use it following the manufacturers intructions for use..why "dust it"..
lol you caught me. It's a dichotomy. Cometic says not to use any sealer. The copper spray mfg have ideas of their own, whether it be a dusting or what have you.

I guess a poll would be a good idea. One problem is the question of whether or not a given gasket was installed properly (prep and bolt torque).

I've read that Tony Mamo does not use spray with the Cometics. I've read that lots of experienced guys on LS1 tech use a light coating of spray, and it's worked out well for them.

Who's recommendation should a lemming like myself follow?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We go thru this on the dsm boards. Cometic can be fine I guess if the block and heads are perfect .think they are very smooth in most ls1s.
Cometic website says not to use spray but many guys do and most report great results. Cometic said it can't really hurt anything so I used it on my dsm build up.But that is iron block with aluminum heads. You are supposed to have certain RA for cometic but couldn't find anyone to test it locally.Cometic said a quick test is run yoru fingernails across the surfaces and if they catch that is too rough.
I know it sounds a bit simple.
I only have a few hundred miles on my engine build with the cometics in my talon so can't report how successful the spray will be.
I plan on gm mls in my twin turbo 99 ta build. They seem to work fine. Ls1 is also using a lot lower boost levels than my dsm does. 30psi is pretty normal for big turbo dsms. I would think most ls1 turbo build ups will mostly run 8psi or so street and maybe 12 to 15psi track.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
lol you caught me. It's a dichotomy. Cometic says not to use any sealer. The copper spray mfg have ideas of their own, whether it be a dusting or what have you.

I guess a poll would be a good idea. One problem is the question of whether or not a given gasket was installed properly (prep and bolt torque).

I've read that Tony Mamo does not use spray with the Cometics. I've read that lots of experienced guys on LS1 tech use a light coating of spray, and it's worked out well for them.

Who's recommendation should a lemming like myself follow?
Funny, I mulled over this very topic last month. I bought the copper spray and used it on the header gaskets, but they were dynatech gaskets and I used it based on recommendation from FLP, who created my headers. I opted not to use the spray on the cometic gaskets - but prepped the hell out of my deck and was really particular about it- having said that, I don't see how the copper spray would hurt the situation.... and in some circumstances, it might help.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

FWIW, here's some info on this Loctite product:

http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/COPHTGSS-EN.PDF

They say to let the solvent evaporate before installation. (I think that was one of the questions asked on this thread.)

They don't say whether to dust it on or go heavy. I imagine somewhere in between is what we'd want.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i used the copper sealent on my caskets also and never had them leak.. i applied two coats on each of the gasket and waiting between coats about 10 min till the gasket became somewhat dry.. i put them on the block till it was kinda dry.. i would do the same thing.. just make sure not to get any kind of dirt or anything on the block and the gasket because it will leak later. watch out not to scratch the gaskets because you can even scratch the gasket with your nails..
Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

It's all in the surface prep. It's got to be smooth with a cometic. I hand laped my block and head in my old 523whp talon. Made it very smooth(almost mirror like) and coated the gasket with spray. I used 400, 600, 800 grit paper, but 400 is probably good for ls1 engines as you do not see as high of chamber pressure. I never pushed a drop of coolant after doing the above and that car saw 30psi on the dyno and 20psi all day on the street. The tune has to be good also as detonation will cause most of the head gasket issues I see.

Quick Reply: Copper gasket spray