Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Oil everywere...damn

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Oil everywere...damn

I just put in my new engine and my sts kit. Nervous as ever, i turned the key. It was running rough so I looked out back and there was oil coming out of the exhaust. Damn! To make sure it wasnt coming from the engine i pulled out an o2 sensor and there was no oil the collector. So then i decided to pull out the turbo, oil poured out of the turbine and impeller side. Damn! Luckly it didn't travel to far up the charge air pipe. Since today is Sunday i havent called sts yet, but i hope they can take care of my problem. Until then, does anyone have any idea whats happening. thanx
Old 07-16-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

first, go back and do a search. There are a few threads that deal with this issue.
2nd, usually with the STS kits the pump polarity is reversed. Make sure positive is positive. Make sure you have the fuse in the harness. Check your t-tap connection for the signal to run the pump,(you should soder it). Make sure the front and rear harness is plugged together good. Make sure there are no kinks in the return line.
Try that and let us know.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yeah, what he said... Double check the polarity, if it's backwards, you'll be pushing back up the pressurized side, rather than pushing up the return. Hope you find out man, that is seriously stressful.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

I'd agree that the scavange pump is definantly hooked up wrong!
Old 07-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Thanx, thats weird that it will cause the oil to be forced out that way. My friend and i also noticed that the pump was operating irradically and that the relay was clicking rapidly. Stress is right.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Well think about it, if the pump is pulling oil from the pan and pushing it into the turbo, oil will be forced out the inlet and outlet. Turbos require very good oil draining in order to not fill up and have oil seap past the seals, in your case where oil might not be leaving at all you got a lot more coming past the seals.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Good thing Ls1tech is around or id but lost. Thanx for your advice and help.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:28 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

the pump does not pull from the oil pan, it pushes oil from the turbo oil return line back to the engine, any time you see smoke or oil in the exhaust pipe you know your pump is not working.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Makes perfect sense... You should check and make sure it isn't doing that clicking and crap, if you run that baby under boost without the scavenge pump working correctly your car will suck in so much oil it'll make a mess and foul plugs (trust me I know). Get it fixed, and you'll be golden.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when you cycle your key to the on position make sure your hearing the pump come on for about 3 seconds then shut off - take the return line and disconnect from oil cap and put into jar - turn key to on position should get some oil squirting into jar. this is how you were suppose to check oil system prior to start up.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Teching In

sorry i dont respond much, im always at work. ill try this when i get back to the house and post the results.

Quick Reply: Turbo Oil everywere...damn