Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam,tuning, And Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam,tuning, And Tranny

ok so i need help. i wanna go with a 228 cam and buy the package off Texas Speed. if i could to save money do i really need to build the tranny up right away or even at all. its not like a 228 is that huge of a cam to begin with. im gonna go with a 3600 yenk convertor. the car will mostly be a daily driver. do i really need to worry about my tranny. it has 63000 miles on it if that helps. also with the tuning issues. i was gonna do headers, exhaust, convertor, and then a bolt on tune. is it possible for tuners to do it all at once because im just curious to know. i heard sometimes if you do that your tune can be off. i heard its better to go headers convertor then bolt on tune. then put the cam in and then a cam tune.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

I got 70,000 miles lt hedders lid loud mouth tci 35000stall and a tranny cooler ( amust when you get a stall) and no tunes no problems.I just ordered a cam from thunderracing today then i will tune then it then. I also ordered (from jegs) a tci deeper tranny pan that will go in when I put in the cam,but to answer you question no I will not rebuild the tranny til I do heads.I just put in the deeper pan for extra cooling(cheap insurance).I have seen alot people do heads and acam with the stock tranny(meaning no rebuild),but most get rebuild or a rock on tranny,FLT,etc when they do heads.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Stock trany here. No probs. A good tuner can do it all at once. Get the biggest Trans cooler you can find. Mine gets hot around town and my cooler is 29oooGVW.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

bad n black
thanks for letting me know about your trans(being stock).I just ordered atr 224/224lsa Im thinking Im gonna go and get heads in acouple of months.I also added a deeper trans pan.Those are some awsome numbers you have there.Minus the heads I have the same exact set up.I cant wait til I save enough for heads.
thanks john