TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sonics were sold today...

http://www.komotv.com/stories/44474.htm

Interesting...
Old 07-18-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

I'm with the Majority of the vote..good riddence..I'm tired of listening to them whine because we won't pay for them to have a new stadium..

They are a privately owned business, so that would be like Ellis and I wanting you guys to pay for us to have a shop so that we can work on your cars...not gonna happen...unfortunately..
Old 07-18-2006, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

NBA Basketball....what a joke! Good bye.....
Old 07-19-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Boycott Starbucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Good-bye, I think the good people of Seattle are getting burned out on being held hostage by major league sports.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:11 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pro1955
Good-bye, I think the good people of Seattle are getting burned out on being held hostage by major league sports.
No ****. Screw them.

Note that they didn't sell to people who would have moved the team right away, they sold to someone who would wait a year and agree to the possibility of a "no sale" situation. They wanna use it as a bargaining chip. I say let them go. They got a nice fancy new stadium already.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1BAD95Z
I'm with the Majority of the vote..good riddence..I'm tired of listening to them whine because we won't pay for them to have a new stadium..

They are a privately owned business, so that would be like Ellis and I wanting you guys to pay for us to have a shop so that we can work on your cars...not gonna happen...unfortunately..
WTF????

I went to a game this season and aside from having little to no legroom in the seats, I thought Key Arena was nice. Clean, lotta bathrooms, consession stands, etc. Seemed fairly new INSIDE.......it was pouring hail outside so I didn't notice much but geez, WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? It was the first pro BBall game I have been to that wasn't the Harlem Globetrotters and it was awesome.........yeah, the Sonics suck but so does half the rest of the NBA......
Old 07-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

good riddance. maybe if they put a winning product on the court more than once every 10 years people would do more to help them stay.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rottluver
WTF????

I went to a game this season and aside from having little to no legroom in the seats, I thought Key Arena was nice. Clean, lotta bathrooms, consession stands, etc. Seemed fairly new INSIDE.......it was pouring hail outside so I didn't notice much but geez, WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? It was the first pro BBall game I have been to that wasn't the Harlem Globetrotters and it was awesome.........yeah, the Sonics suck but so does half the rest of the NBA......
It's a nice stadium. But they want a state of the art, 400 million dollar palace. Not gonna happen here.

While were at it, ship that sorry assed excuse for a MLB franchise somewhere else too.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rokko
good riddance. maybe if they put a winning product on the court more than once every 10 years people would do more to help them stay.
Yeah they did kinda stink up the place for most of the game but pulled a W outta their butts in the 4th......so it was kewl....although it was against the T-Wolves so that isn't saying a lot.
It's a nice stadium. But they want a state of the art, 400 million dollar palace. Not gonna happen here.

While were at it, ship that sorry assed excuse for a MLB franchise somewhere else too.
The problem I see with that is what happened when LA let BOTH NFL teams leave.......the areas went to **** and no one wants anything to do with them (the areas) now and so the Collesium is just crumbling (that is where the L.A. XFL team played and it sucked - the stadium anyway...they had areas cordened off due to damage and unsafe conditions) and the City loses TONS of money that it desperately needs.......can't count on Microsoft to keep this City up and running.....especially since it isn't even technically based IN Seattle.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

And while we are at it lets ship off that crappy NFL team, too. Sheesh, they've never won a Super Bowl, what good are they?

I have been to like a total of 2 games and couldn't care less if they ship off the Mariners, however, they also tied the league records in games won and have done some descent stuff in the last 5 years. They still pull in crowds, maybe not selling out every game this year.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

I personally don't care too much myself. There is no plans to move yet though...
Old 07-19-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

LMAO ya they are asking for way to much!!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Buh-bye now guys... With the tbirds also wanting to leave, who's left to turn the lights out at the Key?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Amorget
And while we are at it lets ship off that crappy NFL team, too. Sheesh, they've never won a Super Bowl, what good are they?

I have been to like a total of 2 games and couldn't care less if they ship off the Mariners, however, they also tied the league records in games won and have done some descent stuff in the last 5 years. They still pull in crowds, maybe not selling out every game this year.
The Mariners haven't done squat since 2001. After that it was all downhill and still is. The fans in this state are morons for the most part. They continue to go to games in droves even though they haven't won in 5 years. "We just love our team, winning means nothing to us" The owners will and have done nothing but raise prices for tickets and concessions, until the fans stop going and demand a winning product the owners will not do jack **** but keep making money and raising prices.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:41 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Amorget

Ya know, I could not care less how they're doing, I'm just getting ****** sick of the pro sports teams extorting money from the local population. Hell, we VOTED DOWN the baseball stadium and had to pay for it anyway.

**** these primadonna ********. They want 50 mill, take it out of their salaries... they make too much as it is.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what I find funny... the state seems more than willing to throw millions of dollars at Key Arena to renovate it, but won't build a desperately new freeway in east King County, won't widen already existing 405 in the south and east ends, won't add more lanes to I-5, etc.

And of course, the Sonics think that's still not enough money, and that idiot Schultz decides to sell out like that.

Here's the way it SHOULD work... the stadiums, like any other non-government building, should be 100% private property, and privately funded. The only money the government gets from them would be property tax and sales tax from sales within the building. The team can either be the owner of the building and build it themselves (giving them complete say over who uses it and when) or they can be tenants of another privately funded building ownership group, who uses the building as an investment property.

No public funding at all... they can charge what they want, and have whatever events they want, I could care less. I think far less teams would hold governments over the fire if they were tied to the building like that... what are you gonna do "Fine, if the government won't give us a tax break, we'll pick up our building and move it!"
Old 07-19-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Actually there are a few NBA teams that have done exactly that.

I watched the press conference yesterday and all I could think about was Ken Behring and how he intentionally ran the 'hawks into the ground just so he could move them back to Cali with little resistance from fans, all the while telling the people in Seattle how he loved the team and how he loved the Northwest.

As for the state's infrastructure and where it places funding, I am reminded of my Roman History: "Bread and Circuses." To wit, keep the masses fed and entertained and you can do anything you want.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

The Mariners haven't done squat since 2001. After that it was all downhill and still is. The fans in this state are morons for the most part. They continue to go to games in droves even though they haven't won in 5 years. "We just love our team, winning means nothing to us" The owners will and have done nothing but raise prices for tickets and concessions, until the fans stop going and demand a winning product the owners will not do jack **** but keep making money and raising prices.
That was the one good thing about the Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles........I still laugh at that name....but they LOWERED ticket AND beer prices.......how can you go wrong with that?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To bad they didnt get a package deal to take the Trail Blazers as well. I guess PA wants to much money for them.

Quick Reply: Sonics were sold today...