Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tips on wrapping carbon fiber..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on wrapping carbon fiber..

Ok I need some major info on how exactly to wrap things in carbon fiber. Is it anything like laying fiberglass? Can I use fiberglass resin? What is the best way to cut carbon fiber? Any other usefull info I should know before I start? Thanks in advance!
-Dirtybird
Old 07-24-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
Ok I need some major info on how exactly to wrap things in carbon fiber. Is it anything like laying fiberglass? Can I use fiberglass resin? What is the best way to cut carbon fiber? Any other usefull info I should know before I start? Thanks in advance!
-Dirtybird
You need a LOT more than some tips. Here are a couple forums that should be able to help you out a lot. It's harder than it looks and no it's not like laying fiberglass other than you get real messy with both.

http://compositeforum.werksberg.com/index.php

http://www.racingcomposites.net/unm

Best tip I can give you is start by making some flat panels with no bends or curves. Carbon does not like to conform to complex curves and you have to be real careful not to distort the weave. Also wear a respirator, a real one, as when you cut the carbon it emits dust that can *%ck you up.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 07-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Banned

gracias parbreak
Old 07-24-2006, 05:16 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice from Bryan.

CF is not easy to cut, it's a bitch. There's lots of tricks to getting the weave to lay down right. Nice looking CF pieces are definately not easy to accomplish. Definately practice on a few easy flat panels first.

Lots of sharp razors are key. My favorite trick is to cut the excess material off with a razor as it's hardening. You'll eventually get the feel for it, but it saves a lot of grinding time. Once it's hardened up a bit, it has a "Leather-like" feel to it. Cut it then, and leave a little extra so you can clean it up perfect by hand.

That all comes after you get the actual CF cutting/laying techniques down first of course. You can research the above links, then google search some supply stores.

Quick Reply: Tips on wrapping carbon fiber..