Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers and y-pipe w/ stock cats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default headers and y-pipe w/ stock cats?

If everyone seems to agree that the stock cats really dont flow that poorly, why is there not a y-pipe offered someplace that could hook up the stock cats to headers and a catback of choice? I can see this saving like 100-200$ instead of buying the catted y-pipes that are offered, with little performance losses. What does everyone think?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KC21386
If everyone seems to agree that the stock cats really dont flow that poorly, why is there not a y-pipe offered someplace that could hook up the stock cats to headers and a catback of choice? I can see this saving like 100-200$ instead of buying the catted y-pipes that are offered, with little performance losses. What does everyone think?
I would say a couple reasons. First being ,the headers of choice for the LS1 are long tubes, and the stock cats wont work with LT's.

Second, seems like the majority of people that run headers, just go with an ORY. Stock cats don't outflow no cats.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Board Certified Idiot

to Weld Your Cats into an ORY.. .. That is Really what your Saying.. & they prollywont flow to well with after market exhaust setup vs a Highflow cat. for your answer.. But i think all LS1 Need Cats
Old 07-25-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z2K_MrJ
to Weld Your Cats into an ORY.. .. That is Really what your Saying.. & they prollywont flow to well with after market exhaust setup vs a Highflow cat. for your answer.. But i think all LS1 Need Cats
Why do all LS1's need cats?
Old 07-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Board Certified Idiot

LOl here we go..The SMell for 1.. 2 The Rasp.. Hmm Unless you RUnning a Bullet style setup or maybe a Good Set Up of True Duals Then maybe NO.. I duno lol
Old 07-25-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

You and Choco must be friends.

The LS1 doesnt NEED cats, sometimes some of the drivers do.

I dont mind the smell, but I dont keep my head under the car while its running, and the rasp on my exhaust is very minimal. I would take what little bit or rasp I have over cats any day.