Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

No straight answer yet! Spec 3 is pissing me off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No straight answer yet! Spec 3 is pissing me off!!!

I know this is gonna be a long post but please bare with me while i run through the problems.

bought the car with a spec 3. it burned out and it did not have a shim when i removed the trans. prior the car shifted like a breeze and you could go through the gears EXTREMLY smooth while the car is off and sitting still just like a stock clutch.

SO!

I bought another spec 3, new slave, and spec flywheel, and the car has an adjustable master. did not put the shim in since i hear too many bad things and after the install the shifting was NOT smooth at ALL and you could only shift it in 1st, 4th, and 5th while the car is off. if you are rolling than it would kinda sorta let you run through the gears. so after going to the track and not being able to hit gears i installed the shim and WHALAH!!! It finally is back to normal and shifts great!!

well a couple weeks ago i went to the track and it started missing gears again and i ran through the gears with the car off again and it was getting sloppy like before. still able to do my 5500+ launches and the clutch grabs hard but just wouldnt let me hit 3rd worth a ****.

The car has sat since that race night for 2 or 3 weeks and now the thing is slipping!!! Pissing me off.

So my question is, do you think it is dirty hydrolic fluid now since it was working good and just needs to be replaced... the shim needs to be removed knowing that it did fix the non-shifting problem... or could it be that i need to adjust the master even though it was working just fine??? the clutch is pretty new but not sure if it is taking a **** on me or if it is an easy fix?!?!?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you won't know too much until you tear it down and look at it. If you call SPEC up ask for David Norton- he is the owner and knows his ****, some of the other guys- not so much.

What kind of adjustable master did you get?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't know why people still order spec-3's, . . every 5 threads say "spec 3 broke " ??? whats the dillio? lookin at the ls7 clutch, .. have not read one bad thing so far!
Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't sound like a clutch problem directly. Sounds like you are having problems with the hydrolis and setup of the other components. Ditch the master too.

As for problems,of course you hear Spec problems the most since they are the #1 clutch sold for LS1's. Everybody goes to the boards to bitch about a product like a clutch,not to praise it. As for the LS7,I've already had problems with them so they are the gods gift either

Quick Reply: No straight answer yet! Spec 3 is pissing me off!!!