Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed new PCV lines...is it right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed new PCV lines...is it right?

I read all the forums and decided to keep my PCV and catch can it(home depot style)I ripped off my old PCV lines and replaced them with 3/8 fuel line(suspected another leak). I think the peace of crap rubber Y was shot. Ran it just like stock except I used a T coupler because I couldnt find a Y. I also installed a catch can. Just wanted to make sure everything was correct. "Another Question Below Picture"

I've also had my EGR crap deleted for a while. The intakes been plugged but I went ahead and removed the hoses that went into the headers and into the pump in the front bumber. I also removed the distributer looking box near the firewall that had some wires and electronics plugged into it(the hoses went into it as well). Pump in the bumber kept running so I just unplugged it from the power. Other than capping the header holes, did I get everything? Car runs fine.

Last edited by Jayh; 08-07-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:15 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EGR is the thing running from the #2 manifold primary to the intake manifold behind the throttle body. AIR runs hoses to each side of the motor, and also to the pump behind the driver side foglight. If you ripped everything connected to it, and capped off the small vacuum line that used to be attatched to "the distributer looking box near the firewall", then you're golden.

And yes that PCV setup looks right, as long as that big yellow blob is a PCV valve.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
If you ripped everything connected to it, and capped off the small vacuum line that used to be attatched to "the distributer looking box near the firewall", then you're golden.

And yes that PCV setup looks right, as long as that big yellow blob is a PCV valve.
You lost me on the vacuum line attached to the distributor looking thing. There were only 3 hoses going into that box and I ttok them all off with it.

The yellow blob is a catch can....the PCV is between it and the Intake.....That right or should it be behind it?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:56 PM
That's what she said...

Did your "distributer" thing look like a "spaceship"? They started going from a simple T to a "spaceship thing" one year, not sure which.

The PCV valve placement doesn'nt matter, but most run it before the catchcan.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Space ship thingy......Had provisions for 3 Hoses and has a very small line coming out of the top....

Its in this lineup.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/328977-exhaust-backfires-running-rich-poor-mileage-come-air-removal.html
Old 08-08-2006, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So which one usually sux in all the oil? The one plugged into the TB or the one just behind the TB on the intake? I lost a quart of oil over the weekend. Car not smoking so its got to be my PCV.. Which one should have the catch can?

Sorry for the hi-jack.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

The one coming from the Y behind the intake that rides along the valve cover and goes into the intake. The other line goes from the TB to the front of the intake cover.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:20 AM
That's what she said...

You need to plug up that small vacuum line that plugs into the top. It runs to a T, one side draws vacuum from the manifold, the other side goes to your A/C system to operate the inner door when you switch from vent to floor or whatever.

You can simply remove this T from the system and plug the line that runs toward the A/C into the manifold bung. if you don't feel like plugging that little vacuum line.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Very good write up Rick. I have a 2000 and also removed the AIR a few years ago using the link you posted. Supposedly this model year had the extra crap that the other models didn't have and can be confusing. Thanks for clearing it up! Anybody know the official name for this part that mounts by the coils? I never removed it. Just plugged the line.

I left this gadget installed......a line is hooked up to it that runs behind my intake along the firewall. I think I see the connection in the line behind the intake. Take this off and plug that line?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Was just reading the motorweek site last night. See the 4th paragraph about hose selection. http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2532.shtml