Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Car Wax gurus come inside for an ole' wives tale

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Wax gurus come inside for an ole' wives tale

Is it true if I wax my car and leave it on over night with wax on it and take it to the car wash tommorow with the wax still on it, it will come out like "glass". By leaving the paint soak it up, is this true or not. I dont want to wast any time or money...

Thanks
Travis
Old 08-11-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes and no. By leaving it on over night, you're making sure that the wax is fully cured, meaning it's totally dry and the excess (the part that causes the haze) is ready to be removed. "Taking it through the car wash" implies an automatic car wash, which I think does more harm to your car than most people want to admit. The water in most touchless car washes is recirculated, so all the crap that washed off of everyone else's car can get blasted onto yours. Plus, if you have any significant chips in the clearcoat, there is a higher likelihood of the water jets making them worse.

IMO, you're better off washing the car yourself with a good lamb's wool mitt, a pair of buckets, and a garden hose with a steady stream of water. Once it's ready for wax (whatever your definition of "ready" might be), put the wax on in thin layers, let it dry completely, then buff it off. I usually do the buffing by hand, since I apply thin layers.

Also, remember that sealants (like Zaino, Blackfire, and NXT) will "sheet" water off, whereas a carnuba wax (Meguiar's Gold Class, Mother's California Gold) will make water bead. If you're using a carnuba wax and the water is sheeting off, chances are pretty good you don't have much wax left.

-Mike
Old 08-12-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

IMO, there's not any advantage to that.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well a drive through car wash isn't going to take the wax off...and by leaving it on for an extended period of time will just make it that much harder to get off...i've never heard of this "wives tail" but it sounds 100% bogus to me.

my favorite wax is made by a company called Ardex. called "Topaz" yellow wax. and i wax my car panel at a time because it dry's pretty fast, and the longer it sits on, the harder it is to get off
Old 08-12-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Veteran

i see it just made sense to me I went to a carwash today and i was impressed with the way it turned out an di got a 3 day gaurantee..Well I guess the car "looked" awesome because 1) It was fast 2)I sat on my *** and watched them do in 20 mins what it takes me an hour and a half to do...I dunno, i jiust heard it and thought it might be worth trying but I think If you apply wax before washing the car that you WILL scratch the clear coat because of any contiminates might be stuck in between the clear coat and the layer of wax.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shinerbock07
...but I think If you apply wax before washing the car that you WILL scratch the clear coat because of any contiminates might be stuck in between the clear coat and the layer of wax.
That part IS true. Always wash before you wax or quick detail.

-Mike
Old 08-12-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Veteran

thanks mike, your car looked flawless at sonic that night BTW
Old 08-12-2006, 05:16 AM
TECH Addict

The car wash will not buff off the wax...

Won't work.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Launching!

I'll let you know later today or tomorrow as to how easily wax comes off after 3 or 4 weeks!! Been way too busy lately with work and house to spend a big block of time on the TA, so it got neglected! I have wax that I forgot to take off under the spoiler. Oh well...
Old 08-12-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont ever do that wax will be a bithc to get off. car wash will never take it all off...
Old 08-13-2006, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

I'm no expert, but think of all the dust and particles that will settle into the sitting wax. When you whipe it off the next day you could rub those particles into the paint.

IMO - It's a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Car Wax gurus come inside for an ole' wives tale