Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Death to an LS2 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 05:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death to an LS2 GTO

I ran the GTO a week ago for the first time. He had at the time magnaflows and Nitto Drag Radials. My car has a cutout, lid, and Nitto Drag Radials as well. We went from a dig. Off the line, I spun all of first gear but managed to stay ahead of the GTO. I started to pull away after I shifted to 2nd and pulled some more after I put it in 3rd. I was looking back at the GTO and saw him falling behind little by little. By the time I looked at my tach it was a little too late so I hit the revv limitor then shifted into 4th. I had a good 2 cars on him. I asked him to run again but he declined after I told him I messed quite a bit.

He comes back this week. With an X-pipe, and a diablo programmer. And all I gotta say is HOLY ****! I was surprised when the GTO beat BuBbaBFP from a dead stop. He only beat Bubba by half a car. Bubba beat the GTO the first time, but the GTO had some huge traction problems. He almost wrecked into Bubba. So I had to try out the GTO with the new mods. So we lined them up. Off the line I had a fender off him and after that he top ended me. By the end of the quater he had a car and a half on me. I was amazed by the power of the LS2.

The GTO is an auto, on Nitto Drag Radials, with a diablo tuner, and an x-pipe, and exhaust. I wonder how much horsepower the GTO puts down to the ground.

My car puts down 326rwhp, and 337rwtq in corrected SAE numbers. Thats only with a lid and cutout.

Those damn LS2's are gonna start being a handful. Very good death though hehe.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:27 AM
Teching In

lol yup that thing with those few mods is one new beast.

It's an Auto GTO so it hooks real well too. I rode in it and took some film from BubbaBFP's run, well one video from each in-car, I should have that video up tomorrow!

The only reason it was a nice death is because the driver is cool. lol

nice death ace.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

The rumor is that the GTO has nitrous. Maybe it does.. I mean how many GTO's are losing it from their 2nd to 3rd gear shifts on Drag Radials? I sure as hell dont have a problem. And I have the same tires just a little balder.

So what do you guys think?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice death for you man...
Old 08-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Banned

Mine put down 320RWHP and 358RWTQ on a Mustang Dyno with the predator tuner, K&N CAI and 160* stat.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NYTIGER
Mine put down 320RWHP and 358RWTQ on a Mustang Dyno with the predator tuner, K&N CAI and 160* stat.
Interesting. I know its more on a dynojet but I think me and the GTO with the mods he has should have been head to head.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

The auto in the GTO is a slushbox but the tuner really firms up the shifts and I have seen a drop of 2/10th in the 1/4 with it.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AcE XBOX
The rumor is that the GTO has nitrous. Maybe it does.. I mean how many GTO's are losing it from their 2nd to 3rd gear shifts on Drag Radials? I sure as hell dont have a problem. And I have the same tires just a little balder.

So what do you guys think?
If he had NOS I think he would've beat you by more than a car and a half imo. With a tune to disable that dreaded torque management and firm up the shifts as well as better airflow with exhaust it's not hard to believe he got you. The LS2 responds to mods as good if not better than the LS1.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Dam does cutouts make that much power? in only making 313rwhp on 93 pumped ???
Old 08-17-2006, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TORNATIC!!
If he had NOS I think he would've beat you by more than a car and a half imo. With a tune to disable that dreaded torque management and firm up the shifts as well as better airflow with exhaust it's not hard to believe he got you. The LS2 responds to mods as good if not better than the LS1.
Thats the rumor thats going around. Its an interesting theory to say the least. I beat him by a couple cars the first time I raced him. Spinning the nittos and banging of the revv limitor in 3rd gear. The GTO almost lost it when he raced Bubba. He spun shifting to second and almost completely wiped out. I believe he said his car got sideways when it shifted into 4th..... weird. I dont have problem issues with the same tires, other then 1st gear. My nittos are kind of bald now though. But the GTO does run strong!
Old 08-17-2006, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good race! I've always wanted to run an LS2 GTO, but the last chance I had he didn't bite the bait
Old 08-17-2006, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stockz
Dam does cutouts make that much power? in only making 313rwhp on 93 pumped ???
I think my car might be a little bit of a freak. The air to fuel was pig rich ar 11.5x with cats. Without cats it drops a full point.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good death... my friend just got Corsa Sport and getting a tune shortly to ditch the TRM... now I'm getting nervous
Old 08-19-2006, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Good death... my friend just got Corsa Sport and getting a tune shortly to ditch the TRM... now I'm getting nervous
Let me know how that turns out.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

My GTO is a completely stock turd and will bark 4th gear! It's amazing that these cars spin so much on shifts yet can't even spin first gear from a punch.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Teching In

If he was spraying he would have beat you more than that. On one of our cruises I was in front of a fellow members M6 '04 GTO that at the time only had a 3 inch catback, predator tuner, and a 150 shot. I got the jump and he damn near ran over me. I put down 312/341 on EPP's mustang dyno...
Old 08-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chrismcgto04
If he was spraying he would have beat you more than that. On one of our cruises I was in front of a fellow members M6 '04 GTO that at the time only had a 3 inch catback, predator tuner, and a 150 shot. I got the jump and he damn near ran over me. I put down 312/341 on EPP's mustang dyno...
he didn't race ace on the bottle, what he is saying is that everyone suspects he used it when he ran bubba bfp.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Freaklt1
My GTO is a completely stock turd and will bark 4th gear! It's amazing that these cars spin so much on shifts yet can't even spin first gear from a punch.
this is an automatic GTO.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good death. I've heard those LS2's are severely detuned from the factory. Just a little computer programming apparently goes a long way on them.

I disagree with that assessment, though you do own the car. Everyone I know had severe traction issues with their GTO in first gear. I've heard numerous complaints about spinning off the line/ wheel hop issues. Those cars certainly make enough torque to spin the tires from 1st gear.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Freaklt1
will bark 4th gear but it won't even spin first gear from a punch ???
yep, pretty amazing