Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Dual-Dual, Hooker, Or Magnaflow for Headers/ORY Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Dual-Dual, Hooker, Or Magnaflow for Headers/ORY Setup?

Between those three. Dont want anything mroe expensive. I have the dual dual, since my car came with it factory. I had to chop the pipe up some so its gonna need to be welded to be reused. I like the hooker how it can be removed via flange. Magnaflow is the most expensive. Almost $100 more than the hooker. I really need to emphasize that im looking for the best in a header and catless application. Sound volume isnt an issue, sound quailty is. Anyone have any experience with 2 or all of the mufflers I have available. I heard the Hooker cackles more. Not sure if thats good or bad lol. For the Dual-Dual id have to reuse the stock pipe. The other two would be 3" mandrel bent. Quality, its obviously magnaflow. Ive never heard dual-dual or magnaflow on a catless combo (Yeah I dont get out much). I need to order by tonight. TIA
Old 08-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why don't you just use the dual/dual since you already have it, then if you decide you don't like it, get a magnaflow? i can't honestly recommend hooker. i hear they have some quality issues with it rusting up. the dual/dual and magnaflow are stainless and are built to last, the hooker is not.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mainly because getting the dual-dual to work is going to big the bigger PITA. Plus its not like itll be free. I work the next 4 days then school starts, so dropping it off at a shop is almost impossible. The dual-dual is a packed muffler and it does have 75k miles on it. So its gotta be nearing its end anyway. Just figured that id get it done right now. But thanks for the heads up on hooker. I know magnaflow has a nice warranty. But the catback comes with those ugly tips lol.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Magnaflow, I love mine.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
Mainly because getting the dual-dual to work is going to big the bigger PITA. Plus its not like itll be free. I work the next 4 days then school starts, so dropping it off at a shop is almost impossible. The dual-dual is a packed muffler and it does have 75k miles on it. So its gotta be nearing its end anyway. Just figured that id get it done right now. But thanks for the heads up on hooker. I know magnaflow has a nice warranty. But the catback comes with those ugly tips lol.
I like the magnaflow tips and it's what I have on my car. Magnaflow is also the loudest of the three which is good.

Last edited by HeapaShifter; 08-23-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what ive heard Hooker is not gonna happen now its between putting the dual dual on or a magnaflow. Ive heard magnaflow sounds awesome and dual dual is quiet.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

i gotta put represent my hooker. sounds amazing at WOT but cruising around is nice and quiet, which is good for neighborhoods where cops are all around. Havent had any problems with mine and no rasp at all.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
I know magnaflow has a nice warranty. But the catback comes with those ugly tips lol.
so put your dual/dual tips onto the magnaflow
Old 08-24-2006, 12:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
why don't you just use the dual/dual since you already have it, then if you decide you don't like it, get a magnaflow? i can't honestly recommend hooker. i hear they have some quality issues with it rusting up. the dual/dual and magnaflow are stainless and are built to last, the hooker is not.
I've had both Hooker and SLP d/d. With both i had The Hooker ORY. I have a friend with a Magnaflow, and its WAY too $$$ for a quiet muffler.

Hooker sounded great, and didnt have a bad rasp or cackly sound like a loudmouth tends to. On the other hand, it was a little too quiet for me if i was actually going to run a full exhuast, and an aftermarket muffler.

I found myself most happy with the following setup:

Hooker LT's
Hooker ORY
cutout in the I-pipe(w/electric cutout)
SLP D/D

I can tell you i lost 2, yea thats right, 2 rwhp from the hooker muffler to the SLP DD. Aditionally, it was DEADLY quiet cruising around, but with a very crisp, clean tone. When i wanted to be loud, it was as easy as a switch away(Elec. Cutout)

If i were you, stay with your SLP D/D and invest the money you would have in the Hooker into a electric cutout.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

I have a magnaflow with no cats and I like the way it sounds. I hate the tips though. I'd leave the SLP on there if there is nothing wrong with it. They sound nice and have decent tips.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Keep the SLP
Old 08-29-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

An update. I put the Dual-Dual on myself. Welded it up, and it sounds killer, but for me, its too quiet. I went from straight headers to the Dual-Dual, and id rather it straight headers lol. It def. sonds good though. A more distintive tone than before, I was just suprised how getting rid of cats and adding headers, it didnt seem that much louder than before.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
so put your dual/dual tips onto the magnaflow

Cant the tips are welded onto the connecting pipes that go to the muffler and the tips have the hangers welded onto them as well. If your thinking of going big cam in the future here is a short clip of my combo in my sig 9232/238 cam/mac mids/ory/magnaflow):