Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What Mufflers To Go With
Sweet Thunders
33.33%
Flo Pro Twister
19.05%
Moroso Spiral Flows
23.81%
1 Chamber Flowmaster
28.57%
Or Ditch The X And Go With An H. If H What Muffler
9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Help Me Decide

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help Me Decide

Here is what i am getting stuck on, yes i have posted this a million and 1 times, and ls1sounds does not do it for me.

Here is my current set up:

STOCK Manifolds + 3" O/R X + Magnapacks out the rear (SEE SIG)

Next weekend i am installing my QTP LTs, so i have no idea what it will sound like when i get them on. sort of do not like how it sounds now. At idle/cruise it is deep and bassy. At WOT it is racy high pitched sound. I want the sound to be deep and bassy IDLE - WOT

i know if i want that then go to H and 1 chambers. my buddy has that but

Help me.. Gimme some suggestions
Old 08-25-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

I voted morosos... only because I have them. Judging by tech cutaway view of the flo pro twisters, I'd say they are 99% if not 100% similar to the morosos. Clip in my sig, very deep at idle/cruise and just nasty at wide open

-J
Old 08-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Tech Resident

i'm telling you, your only option is H-pipe w/single chambers. there should be no polls or choices. it's the only way to go for what you're looking for.

however, since you already paid for an X-pipe, try the single chambers in the X-pipe first. if you don't like them, swap it for an H-pipe and reweld the single chambers back in. that is my advice.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lastcall190
I voted morosos... only because I have them. Judging by tech cutaway view of the flo pro twisters, I'd say they are 99% if not 100% similar to the morosos. Clip in my sig, very deep at idle/cruise and just nasty at wide open

-J

ok will listen to your vid when i get home
Old 08-25-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i'm telling you, your only option is H-pipe w/single chambers. there should be no polls or choices. it's the only way to go for what you're looking for.

however, since you already paid for an X-pipe, try the single chambers in the X-pipe first. if you don't like them, swap it for an H-pipe and reweld the single chambers back in. that is my advice.

i might go with the h with the magnapacks. had it on my GT the best sound ever
Old 08-25-2006, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet thunders sound bad ***. i got them on my duals and i get nothing but compliments like "how did you get your LS1 to sound so good."
Old 08-25-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000WS6TA
sweet thunders sound bad ***. i got them on my duals and i get nothing but compliments like "how did you get your LS1 to sound so good."

do you have a sound clip??
Old 08-25-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

what is the difference between

Moroso Spiral Flow

Flo Pro Twister

Sweet Thunder

i think the Spiral Flo and Flo Pro are the same? they both have that same same spiral interior? BTW what is the purpose of the spiral design?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

No idea on the purpose of the spirals... makes it sound good tho Sweet thunder is just a straight pipe with little divets protruding from the side.

-J
Old 08-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
i might go with the h with the magnapacks. had it on my GT the best sound ever
the GT is an iron block. on the aluminum LS1, the magnapacks will give you the most exotic sound out there

plus our engines have a wacky firing order. that's why our engines sound so funny compared to more standard mustangs or LT1's.

if you want old school, the magnapacks are the absolute worst choice out there IMO, regardless of X or H pipe. the mufflers have a bigger influence on the tone than the pipe does. H-pipes will deepen the tone, not change it.

the single chamber flows on an X-pipe setup will give you a higher pitched old school tone. single chambers on an H-pipe setup will give you a lower pitched old school tone.

magnapacks will be racey and exotic no matter what you do. the pipe just changes the depth. you'll still have the same tone you hate now (assuming you still hate it after LT's), just deeper.

listen to jmm98LS1's car. i can tell you it's the sound you're looking for, and i guarantee you it sounds even better in person.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

No idea on the purpose of the spirals... makes it sound good tho Sweet thunder is just a straight pipe with little divets protruding from the side.

-J

ok so the sweet thunders are like my Magnaflow Magnapacks.. then ST is out then
Old 08-25-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
the GT is an iron block. on the aluminum LS1, the magnapacks will give you the most exotic sound out there

plus our engines have a wacky firing order. that's why our engines sound so funny compared to more standard mustangs or LT1's.

if you want old school, the magnapacks are the absolute worst choice out there IMO, regardless of X or H pipe. the mufflers have a bigger influence on the tone than the pipe does. H-pipes will deepen the tone, not change it.

the single chamber flows on an X-pipe setup will give you a higher pitched old school tone. single chambers on an H-pipe setup will give you a lower pitched old school tone.

magnapacks will be racey and exotic no matter what you do. the pipe just changes the depth. you'll still have the same tone you hate now (assuming you still hate it after LT's), just deeper.

listen to jmm98LS1's car. i can tell you it's the sound you're looking for, and i guarantee you it sounds even better in person.

That is crazy that the magnapacks will give an exotic sound. b/c it is the same as a ST..

So from what you are saying ditch the packs if i want that old school sound. See i want that low pitched, old muscle school sound. but can i acheive it with an X pipe? you said to listen to jmm98LS1 car.. do you have a soundclip for his car that i can listen too?

So then what will a Flo Pro or Spiral Flo do for my sound then??

I really need to get my LTs on and go from there. but i would like a sound clip of jmm98LS1 car
Old 08-25-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

-J

ok well your vid not show a WOT. so what are talking about here??? And what pipe are you running?? X or H.. LTs or NO
Old 08-25-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I really need to get my LTs on and go from there. but i would like a sound clip of jmm98LS1 car

i heard his car. ehhh it was ok. i need a soundclip with a WOT run.. b/c yea at idle crusie sounds like mine deep and bassy
Old 08-25-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonas...I don't understand for the life of me why you keep making all these threads man. You have ALREADY heard my LS1 with the LT's, no cats, 3" H-pipe, & Flowmaster 1-chambers dumped! Heck, you frickin' drove it to it's limits. LOL It's the sickest, most old-school sound you can get at WOT! Sounds nothing like any LS1 I've ever heard with other TD set-ups...

NO video clip is going to help you bro. Go by what you hear in person. Stop wasting your time and money and just go with what you know will make you happy.

Have a great weekend and we'll hang out soon,

Mike
Old 08-25-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000LS1Z28
Jonas...I don't understand for the life of me why you keep making all these threads man. You have ALREADY heard my LS1 with the LT's, no cats, 3" H-pipe, & Flowmaster 1-chambers dumped! Heck, you frickin' drove it to it's limits. LOL It's the sickest, most old-school sound you can get at WOT! Sounds nothing like any LS1 I've ever heard with other TD set-ups...

NO video clip is going to help you bro. Go by what you hear in person. Stop wasting your time and money and just go with what you know will make you happy.

Have a great weekend and we'll hang out soon,

Mike
Yea i have no idea why i make all these threads too. I jsut want to get that perfect tune. Yes i know what your LS1 sounds like. I drove it like it has never been drivrn before. i mean wow it sounds amazing

i know that no video clip will help me, but can give me an idea. i want to get that right tune with the current set up i have plus the long tubes w/o having to switch my exhaust again. I am trying like hell to get the old school sound with this aluminum block that has an x pipe. If not then i go h with flows and call it a day.

Thanks LOL... and yes we will hang out soon
Old 08-25-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

ok well your vid not show a WOT. so what are talking about here??? And what pipe are you running?? X or H.. LTs or NO
No my vid did not show a WOT run, the camera died. My statement was my own OPINION, if you want a vid I'll try and get something this weekend. I have the whole TSP system, as my sig states, so that's an X pipe, and yes LTs as well... pacesetter.

Old school sound? Go flows. My system sounds flowmaster-esque under part throttle cruising around. 1 chamber flows are great, but I didn't feel like fabbing anything, wanted an out of the box performer. Spiral flows fit that bill. Seems as though the only one you've had direct experience with in person is what you absolutely love, so why bother with the others?

-J
Old 08-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Tech Resident

That is crazy that the magnapacks will give an exotic sound. b/c it is the same as a ST..

So from what you are saying ditch the packs if i want that old school sound. See i want that low pitched, old muscle school sound. but can i acheive it with an X pipe? you said to listen to jmm98LS1 car.. do you have a soundclip for his car that i can listen too?

So then what will a Flo Pro or Spiral Flo do for my sound then??

i'm pretty sure this is what you're looking for:

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/4553f...1e00a32705.htm

http://video.ls1tech.com/Player.aspx...A-DCEF6301C7E9

again, H-pipe and single chambers. magnapacks will never get you that sound.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds weak for some single chambers they have a guy across the highway about a mile away with single chambers on a 514 BB mustang and I can hear that **** from my house loping .
Old 08-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by cws T/A
sounds weak for some single chambers they have a guy across the highway about a mile away with single chambers on a 514 BB mustang and I can hear that **** from my house loping .
it's a sound clip. camcorders will not pick up the low pitched frequencies. what you are hearing is the high pitched frequency range of the single chambers. the entire low frequency band is left out. expect it to be A LOT deeper and louder.