Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popped the trans off for a rear main seal fix, everything was dry...i'm confused

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popped the trans off for a rear main seal fix, everything was dry...i'm confused

Popped off the trans and everything today to fix which what we thought was the rear main seal, but when we took off the clutch and flywheel we noticed it was all BONE DRY. Even the seal itself was dry with no hints of any fluid coming out of it, same thing with the rear cover and the whole backside of the motor.

The weird thing is that the transmission case (the area where the slave bolts onto) looks soaked with brown fluid, and the bottom of the bellhousing as well. 400 miles ago my slave went out and I went through an entire bottle of prestone fluid, then I dropped the trans, swapped the slave, popped it back on (without cleaning anything) and bled the slave with ATE superblue (Which makes my fluid color blue now) so that leads me to believe it might have still been the residue that I left behind from the last time I dropped the transmission. BUT when I went road racing last weekend the trans weephole and part of the case looked soaked with brown fluid, not dripping, just alot of fluid on the trans. The rear main seal on the trans looks fine too, not a hint of fluid coming out, bone dry.

So what could be the culprit? Could it just be residue from my last job leaving my trans and no problems? The engine and trans have 21k miles so it's fairly new still. Any comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks

-Andrew
Old 09-03-2006, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

I guess i'm not the only one that is confused
Old 09-03-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, can you inspect the trans input shaft seal? Looks like you could pop the front cover off the trans and possibly replace the seal. outside of that, looks like you dont really have a problem.

See here for some clues: http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=1877
Old 09-03-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Valve cover seals. I cant tell you how many people think they are rear main seal leaks. Just look at the back side of the head and you'll see its path all the way down the trans.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vlave covers or oil sending unit, check those carefully.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

I had the remnants from bleeding my slave leak out for weeks. I was ready to tear it apart again when it finally stopped. Your prior repairs may be the culprit.

I personally think that the design of the bell housing retains fluid in a strange way???

Good Luck!!