Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think it'll take to fix this engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do you think it'll take to fix this engine?

Man I really hate to do this i really wanted to keep this baby. I have a 98 z28 for sale Black with t-tops leather interior a4. About couple of months ago I took the motor out to see what was wrong with it . Upon taking the motor out I found out that the Main bearing and rod bearings had spun. I was going to put a new motor in it, but never got around to it considering i work a crap load of hours so im selling this car for 3500 cash. It has 98,000 miles on it and the transmission shifted fine. I need to sell this quick because im moving and dont want to tow it anywhere. What youll get is everything i pulled out of the motor Intake, block, crank, oil pan, everything heads included but i chunked the rod beargings and mains ones too. Block has been cleaned also. Im in houston so come and get it.
He was the original owner and sold it to someone else. The guy who owns it now is selling it. What exactly do you think it'll need? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd buy a stroker short block for it. Does the car come with any bolt ons?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I'd buy a stroker short block for it. Does the car come with any bolt ons?
Ah. I need the cheapest route possible. I don't know.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

In the long run Shevrolay is right, a stroker long block would be cheaper, and get you a much better foundation.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Azrael
In the long run Shevrolay is right, a stroker long block would be cheaper, and get you a much better foundation.
The guy wants $3300 for the car and the engine. Should I just buy the car? If so, how much? It's in good condition.

Also, what does a long block have and what else would I need to get the car running?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need to go cheap, maybe a new 346 short block is the ticket, but remember, there's no replacement for displacement and this is your chance to go big

OTOH, if you have to do it on the cheap, go with the 346 short block and buy the car with the motor, you'll need it for all the parts that are not included with the short block.

Here's a link with some price info.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/4274...Assemblies.htm

As far as what this car is worth, I would snoop around and see what a similar 98 goes for when it's in running condition, and then go from there.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
If you need to go cheap, maybe a new 346 short block is the ticket, but remember, there's no replacement for displacement and this is your chance to go big

OTOH, if you have to do it on the cheap, go with the 346 short block and buy the car with the motor, you'll need it for all the parts that are not included with the short block.

Here's a link with some price info.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/4274...Assemblies.htm

As far as what this car is worth, I would snoop around and see what a similar 98 goes for when it's in running condition, and then go from there.
I also found this. I wonder how much the guy would want for just the LS1 engine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-04...QQcmdZViewItem