Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ls7 clutch, how hard is the install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls7 clutch, how hard is the install?

someone help me out here, i fried my stock clutch. im almost dead set on the ls7 clutch kit and ls2 flywheel from t56rebuilds. is this a good package? i doubt i will ever be making over 500 hp, and if i am.....it will be just barely over, maybe 530 max.

how hard is the install? my old man is worried about doing it because of it being a hydraulic clutch. he is old school and "doesnt know anything about those damn things" hahaha. we have just about every tool you can imagine, a huge pole barn to work in, and i have the ability with my dads help. i just want to know how hard it is. how long will it take time wise, and is there anything i need to lookout for, or anything like that. ANY help is appreciated. thanks alot.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Dont know to much about the clutch but if you want to buy it you would have to find anouther place to buy it from cause I tryed to order it last saturday and was told by amber who works there that they are not selling it there anymore
Old 09-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Launching!

I dont know specifically about the LS7 clutch but we're about to install my RAM HD. It took us about 3 hours to get the tranny out it wasnt too bad. I would definitly suggest getting a tranny jack as you have to back the tranny out slightly so you can disconnect the slave to get the tranny out all the way.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its very simple. No shims or anything. It bolts directly up. We did mine in 1 night. We could have had it done quicker but there was 7 of us shootin the ****, drinking beer & eatin pizza. We were just rotating people under the car.

Just get the LS7 clutch kit with the LS2 flywheel. New slave & pilot & new clutch fluid. I also did my tranny fluid since I was messin with it anyway.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's not bad at all. but it would be alot better if you have a tranny jack. we didn't and it was a pain getting it back in. but the clutch it'self is very very easy. i love my ls7!!! if feels stock after about 300 miles. any more questions let me know
Old 09-11-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out www.installuniversity.com for a good write up on doing a clutch job on one of our cars. it has pictures and gives ya the "heads up" on all the stuff. i've done a few clutches now that i can get one done on my car within a saturday of waking up late, bullshitting a lot, and doing it all myself. i've got really good with the balancing point of the T56 on a normal jack and just wiggling it into place!

i love my LS7 clutch, great for DD
Old 09-12-2006, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

i installed mine myself. was very easy. as far as hydraulics just make sure you replace your slave and master while your there. and once your done you gotta pump the hell out of the pedal then just drive it normal you really dont need to break in the ls7 clutch. when i did mine i also used arp flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts. but i would say the hardest part is putting the tranny back onto the motor that top bolts i bit of a bear. if you want i can get you the service procedure for gm's sevice information website.

pm if you want it.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

I bench pressed my trans in and out. Just make sure you have enough room to work. You need to sky the car.