International Members For our members outside of the USA

moving to shang hi in a few months

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default moving to shang hi in a few months

ok the clocks counting om my internship in shang hi, china .. i guess first i should learn how to spell it before i move there

but does anybody have and comments in reagrds to what im in for.. ill be there for approxmately 12 months

-john
Old 09-14-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shanghai is an awesome place. I spent only 3 days there but I would love to go back, I got some badass pics. Its ******* huge! you will **** your pants when you see all the buildings, it looks as big as NYC. If you want any pics, or tips let me know. China is such a cool country, you will love shanghai.

How did you get an internship there? Im pretty jelous
Old 09-14-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

yea, send over pics , advice , hell anything i got a whole year there (and mabye a bit longer) so i really need to be getting on the ball for this move...

o yea the whole hook up on the internship was thanks to a family freind that works overthere
Old 09-14-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

hey do the majority of people speak english?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

also i was told by a few freinds that chneese girls really seek out american guys.... do you believe thats true

i mean i do pretty well here but by the way people make it sound i will be like the last crack rock in harlem over there (which i think is bs but since like 5 people have said it now im kinda wondering)
Old 09-14-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

You can usually find someone that speaks english, but that depends how far off the beaten path you wander. But you need to learn basic chinese symbols (mens room, caution, food, exit) Chinese is actually really easy to speak, you will be able to carry a conversation after like 2 months there. Buy the Oxford Started chinese dictionary. Its a english-chinese dictionary, but theres little sections in there that are really helpfull, its a little more than just a dictionary

Heres a tip for when you get there, you will probably carry a backback around the city, since you wont have a car. CARRY TOILET PAPER! about 50% of restrooms arent equipped. On the last day there i was walking around the city just looking at **** and shopping, and forgot to bring toilet paper, and all of a sudden i felt an *** explosion brewing, and it took me like 5 ******* stores to find one with toilet paper, I must have walked a mile with my *** clenched.

Dont drink the water. Before you buy bottled water make sure that the seal isnt broke, some people refill them out of the faucet.

Its really important that you dont litter or spit on the street, its not daytona beach (lol) They dont apreciate it one bit, and you may be confronted about it.

If you smoke bud, dont even try it over there, its serious and you will go to jail. Its hard to find anyway.

Yes there are prostitutes, the ones I met unfortunatly didnt speak english or sign language. So learn chinese!

If you are blond, or tall or "american looking" in general, dont be alarmed if people grab your arm and want a picture. You think im joking but it happened to me almost every day.

But over all they are really polite, if you dont know what they are saying just smile and bow, they know your american.

Thank you is pronounced "sheh-sheh" (in mandarin dialect) Just say that a lot and
they will like you.

Heres a few pics i posted when i got back
http://www.seatstaysup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635

all of the pictures from the little kid kicking basketball on are in shanghai. I got a ton more I can send you later.

If you go to the street market, haggle with them! You can usually walk out paying 1/10 of what they ask. We had a lot of fun ******* with them, id be like "20 yuan for this piece of ****!, no way! ill give you 10" They act insulted, then you walk away and they will call after you saying you can have it. lol

Ill write you more later, thats all i can think of off the top of my head, I gota go do homework.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

please tell me more i only got a few months till im going and i really need as much info as possible

jpr5690@aol.com
386-299-2731
Old 09-15-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

emailed ya

Quick Reply: moving to shang hi in a few months