Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Head Question with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Head Question with a twist

OK head guru's, I have a question. Which heads if any, have the valve cover area raised enough to allow the use of adjustable shaft mounted rockers with out the use of aftermarket valve covers or ridiculously expensive valve cover spacers? I am fairly sure the ETP and TFS heads mentioned having raised valve cover surfaces, but I was not sure about the others. I was also not sure if those were raised enough to allow for a set of T&D shaft rockers or Jesel shaft rockers, or if it was just enough to avoid some of the clearance problems with some of the other aftermarket alternatives. I am asking because I was strongly considering going with a set of TSP Terminators (Edelbrock casting) due to their reasonable price and what seems to be fairly promising results, but after considering some of the adjustable valvetrain options have just about decided that the future might hold a set of T&D shaft rockers in my future. However, if using those would require $200.00-$300.00 in valve cover spacers to clear and the TFS heads for $400.00 more would not then that is something for me to consider. So, can you guys tell me which ones are raised and if so how much and would that be enough to clear the rocker shafts. Thanks
Old 09-12-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

35 views and no responses??? Surely someone has tried some shaft rockers on some of these combos out there. How about the guys on the development end of these heads. Did any of you design these heads to clear shft rockers with stock valve covers?
Old 09-12-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked into this, but not TFS or ETP heads. Bottom line was spacers would be required in addtion to modification of the pushrod holes. I went stud mounted instead. You can get 1/2" spacers pretty reasonable if you look for them though. The issue becomes if you need to move the coils and go with different spark plug wires than the cost goes up as well. In my opinioin, the best shaft mounts out there are the Cranes, but you have to further modify the heads to use them.