Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram HD bad or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 03:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ram HD bad or something else?

Ok i bought the RAM HD clutch for my 2000 Z28 about 4 or 5 months ago. worked great, gripped good, stiff pedal, but also with a mild chatter. it came with the clutch disk and pressure plate but i did not change the master cylinder or flywheel. lately ive noticed drivin down the highway that sometimes it will start slipping. then i ran it at the drags and now it does it very badly. also its harder to get it into gear and i can hear the slack in the rest of the drivetrain jerk when im tryin to put into gear from a stop (as if the clutch is not fully disengaging). is the clutch bad or do i need a turn or replace the flywheel or possibly a new slave cyliner? as far as i know its got the original flywheel and slave cylinder at 110k miles. somebody help me.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the club mine is slipping too after 6 months and 10k. never been to the track either.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Sorry to tell you this but you are most likely needing a new flywheel. All the clutch experts when I did mine were adament about a fresh flywheel. Your flywheel is 1/2 of your clutch engagement! My flywheel was only 8k miles old and looked nasty after we took it out, surface cracks gouges you name it. If you dont go get it turned at a machine shop then invest in a billet steel one. From what Ive heard its usually bad news to put a new clutch with an old flywheel...
Old 09-17-2006, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

yea im thinkin a new flywheel is gonna be a must but what about it not wanting to go into gear very easily. is the slave cylinder gettin lazy as if its goin out too?
Old 09-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Well its a combination. Definitly bleed your clutch as mine even after Ive bled it 3 times, still is working air out of it and sometimes gets hard to shift...bleed it and a little more air will come out. But also if your clutch disc cant mate well wit your flywheel it will also make it hard to shift, when my clutch was missing the shim before it was hard to get it in any gear and felt very notchey
Old 09-18-2006, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

what im thinkin is that the internal slave has begun to leak therefore causing it to not function correctly. and that fluid is gettin all over the place and makin the clutch slip. this is just a guess seeing as how i havnt got it on a lift yet to see whats goin on under there.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

You should always turn your flywheel and change the slave cylinder everytime you change the clutch. Id say that you are definetly having slave problems I would change it and turn the flywheel asap.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

yea but at the time of the clutch change i only had enough cash for the clutch itself and i needed the car asap. but im lookin at the Ram slave as well as the Ram billet steel flywheel. anyone have good luck with those?
Old 10-01-2006, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

:UPDATE: Ram powergrip is dead. turns out the slave was good and that the clutch wad doomed to go out despite the lack of the flywheel turn. after 6,000 miles and about 12 passes at the track, both sides of the clutch disk were worn down to practially no clutch material at all. also the flywheel,disk, and pressure plate were burnt blue and there was no visible difference between the pressure plate side and flywheel side of the clutch disk. also the flywheel and pressure plate both had visible groove patterns in them which inidicate to me they were getting very very hot. that being said, the groove pattern on the ram disk is smaller in diameter than the stock clutch yet after 106,000 miles, the stock one left absolutely no groove ridge. this leads me to believe that the ram powergrip hd should be considered as a race only application since it grips very very well and holds together but connot go the distance. i am currently installing all new flywheel,clutch disk,pressure plate,pilot bearing,slave cylinder (with throw-out bearing) with the "high-performace" replacement set from a local parts store.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 186 Likes on 123 Posts

I have a RAM 910/VDS combo with Fidanza alum flywheel and new '01+ slave. Installed everything new.

440rwhp, 20 passes at the strip, 4 road race days (1.5hrs each), and 20K miles overall on it. No slipping or signs of wear yet. It is a bit grabby and stiff pedal; however it does the trick. It does chatter a little if I don't slip the clutch a little from a stop.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:31 PM
8 Second Club

When I did my Ram HD-I opted to get the billet flywheel and there shim. 2 season later 644rwhp and a 10.60@133 and it's still working good. This is my daily driver.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...4b017cf98e.htm
Old 10-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with something else ...like textralia
Old 10-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Launching!

turning the flywheel is a must!or a new one. imagine a brake pulsation and just doing a pad slap and not replacing the rotors or turning them. the new clutch has to have a nice fresh surface to mate to.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

i understand why one would need to have the flywheel resurfaced or replaced, but im still hung up on why both sides of the clutch disk would wear down exactly the same just by not having the flywheel turned or replaced. and why the pressure plate is worn identically like the flywheel. i have some pictures if i can get them down-loaded off my phone to my pc