Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

sporadic noise when going from a stop...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sporadic noise when going from a stop...

I had a ram clutch installed about 2 weeks ago. I noticed a sporadic noise when i would slowly let the clutch up from a stop. Today it did it like 4-5 times, but usually its once a day if that. It sounds like a bad belt slipping noise (its def not a belt though), or something slipping, its pretty loud and i can feel it through my pedal. It sucks that its sporadic so it will be hard to take it back to the shop that did the work and show them. When i had the clutch put in i had them put a new friction plate on the aluminum spec flywheel and a new slave cylinder. Anyone have any idea what the noise can be?

Its right as i am letting up the clutch to go from a stop and it makes the noise for a split second, i can actually feel it but it doesnt seem to effect the car.

It hasnt done it at any other time besides takeoff.

from searching it sounds like a bad throwout bearing, can anyone else give me some input? I provided the shop with a new throwout bearing, could the shop not install it correctly and cause it to start going bad after only about 300 miles? Or does it sound like the shop never installed my new throwout bearing and just reused mine that had 60k miles on it?

Any help is appreciated, thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KDR-Z06
I noticed a sporadic noise when i would slowly let the clutch up from a stop. It sounds like a bad belt slipping noise.
My SS had a sound like you described. After I had pulled the transmission, pressure plate, flywheel, ect, I saw the pilot bearning had been totally destroyed. Since that was the only broken part, I blamed it for the noise I was experiencing when I would let off the clutch in first or reverse.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Teching In

great, would a GM pilot bearing fail in less then 300 miles? thats all i have on the car since the shop did the clutch install and i did provide them with a new one
Old 09-20-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

It shouldn't.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
It shouldn't.
would it if its installed improperly?

I searched on z06vette.com and there was someone with very similar symptoms and people were guessing it might be a throwout bearing, would a throwout bearing do this?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a spec that did the same thing, annoing as hell and it makes you think everyone is looking at you and saying that car is a pile. I havent heard of it with a ram but Im sure that some may do it. I know with the textralia they say that the clutch is not fully seated yet and to basically beat on it but I am not sure that will work with yours.
This may be somthing you will have to live with.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Teching In

yeah i just started finding threads about spec 5s and textralias doing the same thing, maybe I just have to break it in
Old 09-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Teching In

i emailed ram and they say a squealing noise is normal when the clutch is cold but i talked to 2 different people that have the same clutch and they dont have the issue, can it be due to them having a different flywheel then me? I have a fidanza and they have billet steel ram flywheels. The noise does go away after it warms up but its so loud that i am not convinced this is the squealing noise ram is talking about.

Quick Reply: sporadic noise when going from a stop...