Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head bolts and stripping threads????

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head bolts and stripping threads????

What exactly make them strip? Thinking about this, I mean, if you get them all the way in there and then start torqueing, there is no reason they should strip out. I could see if you only had 3 grooves of the thread and then tried putting 120lbs of twist on it. Hell, I dont care if there is sand in there, as long as you have most of the bolt in, there should be no strippage. The only thing I can think of is that that part of the block was not prepped correctly comming out of the mold. Maybe it cooled down too fast or too slow, so, now you have soft metal?? Maybe a stipped head bolt hole was just waiting to happen, so, we should not blame ourselves, just the roll of the dice?

Anything anyone feels like one can do to possibly avoid this other than cleaning out the threads reeeeeeeeeeeal good??
Old 09-24-2006, 10:24 PM

save the hassel and stud your block if you plan on having the heads off more than once. just my .02 cents
Old 09-24-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was gonna go with the ARP head bolts to avoid the TTY hasle as I dont have 2 people to pull on a bar for the TTY requirements. Heard about people pulling threads and got to thinking..........
Old 09-25-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Yep. I wouldnt do a head change on an Ls1 without going to ARP STUDS! But thats just me....
Old 09-25-2006, 03:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you clean the threads you don't have to worry unless someone else already damaged them. when they aren't cleaned, they strip because you don't get enough thread to start or you crack the block.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, as my luck has it, someone already got to it but pulled threads is to be seen. Since they reused the TTY bolts (as i see a VERY dirty head bolt inside the head that matches the outter ones), I will assume they didnt put too much strain on the threads (fingers crossed).

As an engine builder goes, I would hope and assume that anyone tightening bolts down would notice if the bolts were only half way, in and starting to get tight, would know something is going on.

God I hope I will be saved form this moron this time.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Launching!

When you hear them pop and spin freely there tight enought.

I just spent 2 hours cleaning bolt holes on a h/c change. What builder has time for that???? (atleast at the local garage)

When I changed may last waterpump on a lt1 I was laughing at myself saying nobody sits here and scrapes for a hour making sure the gasket surface is clean. Than again thats 1/2 the reason I'm learning to turn wrenchs. ($$ other half)
Old 09-25-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats one of the reasons, if they even do it correctly, it costs so much. At $95? an hour, your paying $200 just for scraping gaskets