New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not running on all 8 cylinders....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not running on all 8 cylinders....

is there a way to tell if im running on less than 8 cylinders??

reason i ask is my car doesnt feel the same nor does it sound the same either.
my only mods are lt's,ory, and cut out. the plugs/wires were changed 3 months ago.

ive checked all the plug wire connections and they all look good, i dont have a flashing SES light or any other light on for that matter. car just doesnt feel strong. i noticed it 2 days ago.

any help??
Old 09-26-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

That happened to me and I found out I had a MASSIVE exhaust leak.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

You might just be getting used to the car. You bang the rev-limiter in it at all lately? I did when I was just headers/exhaust and felt like the car lost some power. Then slowely I started hearing some ticking. I pulled the covers and rockers and had a bent pushrod. Car would still light the tires up, but I could just tell it wasn't as strong.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by farnoush
That happened to me and I found out I had a MASSIVE exhaust leak.
i do have a exhaust leak where the ory meets the I pipe, but its been there since i put the ory on. i dont hear any noise that would be related to the exhaust leak.

You might just be getting used to the car. You bang the rev-limiter in it at all lately? I did when I was just headers/exhaust and felt like the car lost some power. Then slowely I started hearing some ticking. I pulled the covers and rockers and had a bent pushrod. Car would still light the tires up, but I could just tell it wasn't as strong.
sure haventbang the rev limiter. what noise would i hear if i had iether a bad rocker or bent pushrod?? would it be constant??

reason i ask is because i did notice a noise a while ago that i could only hear at 1000-1500 rpms. took the car to 2 diff. shops and both said it was normal nothing to worry about. last oil cahnge about 1 month ago i didnt have any on the magnetic oil pan plug.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Teching In

hook up a scan tool and make sure all your coil packs are working correctly.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 001_ls1
sure haventbang the rev limiter. what noise would i hear if i had iether a bad rocker or bent pushrod?? would it be constant??

reason i ask is because i did notice a noise a while ago that i could only hear at 1000-1500 rpms. took the car to 2 diff. shops and both said it was normal nothing to worry about. last oil cahnge about 1 month ago i didnt have any on the magnetic oil pan plug.
I constantly noticable ticking sound at idle. Our cars do tick a little at idle as they are, but this is MUCH louder in comparison. I bent quite a few of mine back when i first got the car. I did the ole "money shift". You know, top of a gear supposed to be going into the next gear, but instead go into the lower gear. Ouch.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransAmDrag98
hook up a scan tool and make sure all your coil packs are working correctly.

i dont have access to auto tap or any other device....only running it down to auto zone and have them scan it, but i doubt itll help...or will it??