Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Broken Tranny Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Broken Tranny Mount?

alright, the other night i shifted into 3rd not hard not soft. i just hit it and i got out of it around 3k and i heard a snap, and every day after that the shifter started to move about an inch when the engine was under load. well today i tore everything apart and looked at the tranny mount and motor mounts and everything was fine. the motor torques about an inch in either direction when i rev it but the shifter moves also. it never moved at all before i h eard the snap. so what is my problem?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you gun the car and the shifter is moving up? then its probably a trans mount.

get one for 25 bucks from summit ( polyuerethane)
Old 09-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

deffinatly a trans mount, i couldnt tell mine was broken untill i took it off... while your down there might as well change the torque arm mount to polly energy suspension in like 18 dollars i think......CAUTION!!! dont drive to long with that broken mount....drove mine for about two weeks and ended up breaking a motor mount because of the tranny moving so much
Old 09-28-2006, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SpringtowN
deffinatly a trans mount, i couldnt tell mine was broken untill i took it off... while your down there might as well change the torque arm mount to polly energy suspension in like 18 dollars i think......CAUTION!!! dont drive to long with that broken mount....drove mine for about two weeks and ended up breaking a motor mount because of the tranny moving so much
the tranny mount is not broke. the shifter moves side to side. not up and down. i had it up on a lift had the tranny mount and crossmember totally out of the car. i looked at the motor mounts and couldnt see any breakage. i really hate to pull the k member to get to the mounts just to see if they are broke or not.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

man if its not your tranny mount, only thing i could think of would be the motor mounts, good luck man..
Old 09-29-2006, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Thats about the only way i know of to get to the motor mounts is to drop the k member, anybody else know another way? i just want to see if they are broken.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

I'm having the same problem right now. I replaced my trans mount with a poly one that really stiffened up the shifter, but it still moves left to right quite a bit under load. I think it is the motor mounts. I've already ordered them and should have them very soon. I'll update as soon as I get them and install. I also ordered the torque arm mount and will drive after each install to test and see what fixes it and let you know. I think we have the exact same problem..
Old 09-29-2006, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZFan88
I'm having the same problem right now. I replaced my trans mount with a poly one that really stiffened up the shifter, but it still moves left to right quite a bit under load. I think it is the motor mounts. I've already ordered them and should have them very soon. I'll update as soon as I get them and install. I also ordered the torque arm mount and will drive after each install to test and see what fixes it and let you know. I think we have the exact same problem..
im going to do the same. Im going all poly motor mounts and torque arm mounts. do you know if you can change the motor mounts without droping the k-member. i see you have an LT1 so it may be a little different.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

This was posted in a similar thread. I can't imagine it being much different for an LS1. I'm going all Poly as well

Originally Posted by CL21376
put your car up on jack stands/ramps

remove the "through" bolts on the mounts

jack up the engine....some people use the oil pan; i used the transmission bellhousing right behind the pan. Use an old yellow pages as a cushin.

remove the mounts

The mounts are rivited together, so you'll need a 1/2" and 3/8" drill bit to drill the rivits out.

Install the new mounts, and re-sandwhich the mounting plates toghether using the supplied hardware.

Re-attach the mounts. I left them a little loose so I could wiggle them around. Re-aligh the through bolts and tighten it all down.

I had the most difficulty getting them realigned. It helps to have someone else operate the jack up/down while you try and slide the through bolt back through.

Tighten everything back up....done!
Old 09-29-2006, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

i dont see why it would. i ordered some poly Sphon mounts and an Energy suspension tranny mount. i also got the tubular mounting brackets, thats what im worried about getting on. ill have to get it back on the lift and look at it. thanks for all your help guys. keep posting any more info you have or updates!!!