Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Define "useable boost"

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Define "useable boost"

Got a question for some of the more seasoned boost addicts....

Please define useable boost. I personnaly define it as 1 PSI or greater because this is the point where your engine starts to benefits from boost.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:12 AM
9 Second Club

well, I would say it has to be enough boost to create a "SOTP" difference from NA. so ~5 psi or so would be average before you can really feel the power increase.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I mash the pedal with both hands on the wheel!
Old 09-29-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

usable boost is anything you can get to the ground and still keep moving forward.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KAOS
usable boost is anything you can get to the ground and still keep moving forward.

Yea I agree, once you hit the point where you have a fully built setup for boost (suspension, tires, rear, tranny, etc) and are still blowing the tires off that exceeds useable boost IMO.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:14 PM
9 Second Club

thats more like usuable power, as boost has nothing to do with how much power any specific engine makes.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think usable boost is something that big turbo supras dont experience- it would be usuable in midrange midrange and come on very strong from like 3k up instead of hitting all @ once @ like 6 or 7k rpm.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nickn20
thats more like usuable power, as boost has nothing to do with how much power any specific engine makes.
How does boost have nothing to do with how much power any specific engine makes? So if im running 1 psi on an ls1 enigne and the next guy is runing 30 psi on an ls1 engine then it will have nothing to do with how much power then two engines will make?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
How does boost have nothing to do with how much power any specific engine makes? So if im running 1 psi on an ls1 enigne and the next guy is runing 30 psi on an ls1 engine then it will have nothing to do with how much power then two engines will make?
I think hes trying to point out the fact that psi is a measure of restriction, not power.

WHere some guy may have 550rwhp on 15 lbs, other guys have 800+rwhp on 8 lbs...
Old 09-29-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
I think hes trying to point out the fact that psi is a measure of restriction, not power.

WHere some guy may have 550rwhp on 15 lbs, other guys have 800+rwhp on 8 lbs...
Ah ok, I see what he means, that a specific amount of boost doesnt garauntee a certain amount of power, but I think that useable power and useable boost should go hand in hand...for instance, usuable boost could be define as any amount of boost that is available in your RPM range, so basically there is no limit to useable boost...
Old 09-29-2006, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Ok let me clearify this a little.

Let me toss up an old dyno sheet (see attached).

Where would you say I produce useable boost? This is on a V6 BTW, not a V8 like you are used to.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Conley final dyno.txt (4.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 09-29-2006, 09:11 PM
9 Second Club

I knew my comment would raise some eyebrows, people are too fixated on how much boost a car has, just trying to get you guys to think outside of the box a little. 2000 Tran Zam gets it. as far as boost goes any amount of boost will produce more power than what a motor had naturally aspirated, so anything over atompheric pressure will increase more airflow thus creating more power. I really think the real question of this thread is about usuable power and or usable powerband, unless we state an exact specific car, from motor to drivetrain to suspension, even then it will still be personal preference.

to me on the street with a stiffer suspension for handling say a y-body or a F-body 6-700 rwhp is what I like. sure first and second are pretty much worthless, I like to have fun on the freeway 3-4-5 gears put me on some big drag radials or some DOT slicks with a looser drag suspension I think more like 7-800 rwhp would work for me, at the track as much power as I can make as I roll on a big 10.5W slick. hehe. this is of course MY personal preference.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Most ls1 cars will need about 15-18 psi to have enough power to take full advantage of every gear.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

I define usably boost as how much boost a turbo will make before it is ineffecient. say my turbo will make 30psi but the air coming out at that pressure is to hot therefore it is unusable or ineffecient. thus needing a larger turbo that will produce the same cfm's at a lower boost level and creating less heat. thats how i define usable boost.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nickn20
I knew my comment would raise some eyebrows, people are too fixated on how much boost a car has, just trying to get you guys to think outside of the box a little. 2000 Tran Zam gets it. as far as boost goes any amount of boost will produce more power than what a motor had naturally aspirated, so anything over atompheric pressure will increase more airflow thus creating more power. I really think the real question of this thread is about usuable power and or usable powerband, unless we state an exact specific car, from motor to drivetrain to suspension, even then it will still be personal preference.

to me on the street with a stiffer suspension for handling say a y-body or a F-body 6-700 rwhp is what I like. sure first and second are pretty much worthless, I like to have fun on the freeway 3-4-5 gears put me on some big drag radials or some DOT slicks with a looser drag suspension I think more like 7-800 rwhp would work for me, at the track as much power as I can make as I roll on a big 10.5W slick. hehe. this is of course MY personal preference.
Haha yea I hear ya, read your post real quick at work and didnt think about it till 2000 posted up...and I agree it will differ from car to car, but one way to look at can also be with track times. If your making 600 rwhp and run say a 10 flat, then up the power to 700 rwhp and run pretty much the same time, then the additional boost to push it to 700 rwhp is pretty much useless as it doesnt get you down the strip any faster, although the mph would/should be higher. However if your talking street use and roll racing I guess any additional boost that makes more power is technically useable.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Haha yea I hear ya, read your post real quick at work and didnt think about it till 2000 posted up...and I agree it will differ from car to car, but one way to look at can also be with track times. If your making 600 rwhp and run say a 10 flat, then up the power to 700 rwhp and run pretty much the same time, then the additional boost to push it to 700 rwhp is pretty much useless as it doesnt get you down the strip any faster, although the mph would/should be higher. However if your talking street use and roll racing I guess any additional boost that makes more power is technically useable.
Very well put imho..

Quick Reply: Define "useable boost"